• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEED A NEW TOPIC!

Here is one;

A few seasons back, my fishing parter and I were whiling away a hot summer day, with slip bobbers over a hot walleye area, my partners bobber started doing the "pesky perch" bob, when all of a sudden the float disappeared and with an effective hook set, the drag began to sing, taking line like crazy. after a heated battle, my partner began to gain on the monster, and soon after boated a seven inch perch, my partner, (who was relatively new to fishing) was dismayed by the fighting ability of such a small fish... closer examination revealed the jaw spread of a giant pike or muskie, very exciting, and we had a great laugh over the "fish that could", we vowed to return and catch that mighty fish someday...

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 12-15-2001).]

Coldone -- At Leech Lake I had a small walleye half way to the boat when a large muskie decided to take my walleye. I knew what was going on from the start, since I saw the muskie grab the walleye -- but, it was fun until the muskie had enough and simply let go. It surfaced several times, but did not jump -- I suppose because it felt no hook in its jaw.

Coldone--great story--It reminds me of one of my own. TRUE STORY. When I was about 10, I recall fishing with my dad at a local river where we always caught lots of walleye and perch. We went fishing one day, just like any other day, when something very unusual occurred. We had a stringer of walleye in the water on one of those nylon stringers that have the little spike that you stick in the bank to secure the fish. Anyway. I remember seeing the stringer start to jerk out of the ground and I yelled to my dad, " heh dad, the stringer is swimming away." When he came to investigate, he slowly pulled the stringer of walleye in and discovered that a LARGE northern was helping it self to a free lunch. Dad yelled, "GET THE NET." I ran to get the net only to discover (remember) that the net was lying in the river full of perch. By the time I emptied the net of perch and got it to my dad, it was too late. We tried to net the monster, but it let go and swam away before we had a chance. Incidentally, the next day, someone caught a 26 lb. Northern in the very same spot! Coincidence or Not? Who's to say?

[This message has been edited by jacobm (edited 12-15-2001).]

Clayton,
Sounds exciting, This type of thing really gives a guy insight into how the big predators lie and wait for a "diasadvataged" fish to come their way...

Jacobm,
That reminds me of a story from my childhood; every summer my family would spend a week at a resort in northern Wisconsin, I must have been about 10 or so, I was fishing off a dock for sunfish, with a Zebco 202 setup, when my bobber went down, and I set the hook into something huge, after a few minutes of doing nothing but twisting the line, cranking the reel like a mad man, while the mighty fish just took out line at leisure. after a few minutes of this, my father took notice, and took over the pole, he played the beast for what seemed an eternity, finally beaching the biggest dogfish (bowfin) I have ever seen,(actually this was the first dogfish I have ever seen), once the resort owner caught wind of this he was down like a flash, digging a deep grave for that monster. (He didn't want word of anyone catching "dogfish" from his resort getting out) A few years later, reading the state record fish list... I realize that this one would have easily overtaken the current record... maybe it's best that one not go down in history that way...