• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on DNR

HonkerDown

The post asked for opinions. Mine, would kinda be upset, but would move to another spot. If my perm shack is out and I get close neighbors, if the fish keep biting, I stay, if not I move to the other side of them. If they quit biting, I move and tell everyone that I'd been catching fish there, lots of neighbors then.

I personally will not set up within 40 yards of someone fishing alone. I will move closer if there are many houses and the spot seems more public to me. I like my space and can respect those who also do. I also take friends that blab about my spots once. You soon learn who you can tell. just another opinion, Brent

I was on LOW setting up my sleeper about a mounth ago, I set up in 28.5 feet of water. Two of my freinds set up 40 yrds from me towrds shore. Another freind set up in about a quarter mile away towards shore in 22 feet of water. The first two had great luck, they hammerd fish, I on the other hand did not. the guy in 22' came an fishexd all around the other two with permission an nothing . I haxd two 8" saugers I put back. The days total was {two guys 32 fish} one guy one fish, Me two fish. I was bumbing, The nedt day I movexd my permenant right on top of the two freinds holes, they had a portable a were leaving any way at noon, yea I have the spot! Well well well greed is a terrible thing. With in an hour of my moving, two portable had moved on my old spot an caught some really nice fish an one 27" walleye. I was really overcome with such frustration an resentment towards anyone catching fish I totally forgot why I love this sport so much. Shame on me. When my smoke cleared I found myself very dissapointexd in my behavoir an was truly ashamed of myself. Theres more to icefishing than catching fish. I forgot about the freinds I had with me an if taken the time I could have made some new ones. Yea its tough to see people move in a ya but mabey you could try an befreinxd them, they might have some secrets to share. I have been to school for wildlife law an decided to pursure that career, nobody likes to see you an their happy when you leave. Cut your local CO some slack. They have lives an families too an would rather be fishing with them than shaking down inconsiderate whinners. My two cents. Later boar. Oh yea, the next weekend me an a new attituxde an my family limited out on the same spot.

It seems to me that this has happened a few times to me also couple times with the CO and fishermen in general but if somebodys where I want to fish or I cant get to that spot for some reason(snowdrifts last time) I just set up in the general area and at times done better than I prolbly woulda on the original spot grin.gif you bet I stewed about it alittle till I figured it out it didnt matter cause I was still out fishin grin.gif just dont try to set up next to me during prime time blush.gif

ICE-DOG 1 out

Hey Honkerdown, I would be frustrated too. Heres an idea. Next time you get checked by a CO and you have fish. Tell him that you were fishing a different lake earlier and the fish shut off. Then you decided to try this one and so far you havent caught a fish. Too bad you have to do that but I dont even tell some of my closest freinds where im fishing.

Quick question. Did you ask the CO not to report to others what you had caught? I don't like to assume things, If I was worried about it I might have said something like " I am planning on coming back here tomorrow I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone of my success until the next day or so" Never hurts to ask.

The reason I think that this bugged me so much is the fact that I am a considerate and ethical angler. If I hear some one is catching fish good for them I would never go and plop down on thier EXACT holes and start fishing. I would maintin a respectful distance and try to find something similar to fish in the area. Its the winter version of fishing someone elses marker.All to many times have I been cut off by another boat between me and my marker. A TRUE fisherman likes to find new spots and thier own school of fish not to be told which holes I shoud go fish in because some other guy did the homework and put in an effort to find a spot with fish. Does anyone disagree with that

WHAT UP HONKER? I AGREE WITH U TOTALLY. I DONT THINK THAT THE CO SHOULD HAVE NECESSARILY "TOLD THE NEXT GUYS" U WERE CATCHING FISH. WHETHER HE DID OR NOT WELL IM NOT SURE, I OBVIOUSLY WASNT THERE. I KNOW BOTH OF THE CO'S THAT WORK THIS AREA AND BOTH OF THEM ARE EXTREMELY GOOD GUYS. AND YES, THE THANKS FOR THOSE GUYS A VERY FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. THINK OF HOW MANY TIMES WHEN THEY ARE ON THE LAKE, SOME ONE ASKS WHERE THEY ARE BITING? HE MIGHT HAVE JUST SAID IT OUT OF HABIT. ON THE OTHER HAND, I AGREE THAT IF YOU ASK THE CO NOT TO REPORT YOUR "FINDINGS" THAT HE RESPECTS THAT. I HONESTLY BELIEVE THEY WOULD DO THAT.MAYBE THEN HE COULD HAVE JUST SAID THAT "I HAVE CHECKED GUYS THAT ARE CATCHING FISH TODAY", BUT INSTEAD OF SAYING WHO AND WHERE, JUST GIVEN A DEPTH AND WHAT THEY ARE FISHING OVER. IF THE CO CHECKS ME, ALL I WILL HAVE TO SHOW HIM IS A BUCKET FILLED WITH MINNOWS...LOL JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH MR. DANCE grin.gif

I think what happened to Honker sucks, but there isn't really a way around it. People talk, people congregate, it sucks, but that is the way it is. As far as the CO is concerned, I know it sucks for them when people are rude or complaining about the fishing or the DNR, but he/she chose that job and this is something that comes with it. Nobody feels bad for the operator at the credit card company when someone complains about a late fee when the operator had nothing to do with it. CO's have a tough job, but they chose it. We can all do our best to be considerate, but their job wouldn't be so difficult if we all helped to patrol our waters and woods. Report violations, promote sportsmen ethics and do your best to educate your/others children to help them to be better sportsmen so we don't have to bicker about CO's or who's spot is who's!

I can't believe this post is still going. Seriously.

What happened kinda stinks, but its not the CO's fault unless you prove it to be. I didn't see anything here that says you talked to the CO again or the guy fishing your spot.

Get over it. If you're gonna post on here and blame someone without any proof only hoping to start some bashfest for some simpathy, its lame and a bit childish. You want someone to feel bad for you.

Some people would like to think that cause you have a spot staked out on public land or water entitles them to that spot cause no one else should take their spot. That its unethical. First of all not everyone has ethics or morals about things like that. Just cause you do doens't mean others do and that isn't against the law.

If a true fisherman finds their own spots, then get a new spot or fish the same one. Either way, its old.

We shouldn't use the site just to bash people about something we have no proof on. Maybe the guy just wanted to try your spot.