• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on DNR

HonkerDown

Hey guys was just wondering what your take on my sitchy is. Two days ago I was checked by the warden No problem iwas legal and had five nice eyes in the bucket, the spot I was fishing I had all to my self with one house at a very respectable 40 yards. as he walks to the next house he tells that guy that I have a bucket full, and then goes on to check the rest of the lake. The next night I go out to my same spot and there are two houses practically using my holes and that once respectable guy moved right in close. And we wonder why or lakes are getting beat to dump with loud mouth wardens telling everyone, If it would have been his spot fine but dont do it to one of mine. Any other thoughts from you Guys! mad.gif

My thought is the DNR officers are trying to make small talk with the people they're checking on. Small talk often leads to big talk and bigger things. Makes them seem more human too. What better way to break the ice with fishermen that to talk about fishing results. I doubt he meant to talk you out of your honey hole.

beer batter, is right on.

I would love a State job, but it would be tough. Trying to enforce the law and bust violaters at the same time.

Think about this (you being the DNR Enforcement Officer)....Walks up to house....Hello, how's the bite...(um, well...could be better...))..Could I see your catch/license. By the way, enjoying the weather?...)

Being the DNR Official, everyone is thinking you are out to bust them. Not the case! DNR are keeping "The Honest Man Honest".

Respect them, and you will get the same back. The DNR have a tough job, I want to make it easier. A fisherman, nothing to hide...Poachers/violaters...LOOK OUT!

I would like to have fair and equal regulations for all, lets work towards it...

river-rat4

Its very true about asking the CO and local managers. One of the best ways to find out hot tips is to talk to those who talk to people.

It is kind of a raw deal that YOUR spot was being fished by someone else, BUT

You have no proof that the CO told the other guy anything. Its all speculation. Maybe the other guy tried to hit your holes after you left? Maybe he's fished the area before? Who knows?

My problem with this post is that you're bashing the CO because someone else is fishing your spot. I bet you didn't even go talk to the guys or call the CO. If you're gonna badmouth them online and behind their backs at least have the gall to call and speak to the officer or knock on the doors of the people in your spot.

PS, the ice is public and a free for all. If someone saw me catching fish in a spot and chose that area the next day, then tough for me. I say it sucks for you, but thats life. Maybe call the CO and see if he said anything and maybe suggest that if he wants to make chitchat with other people maybe he shouldn't volunteer info about others success if there is only a couple other shacks out there.

Your hole?????? Other than the fact that you drilled it, it is only your hole when you are sitting over it.

Unless you actually heard the CO say something to the other guy you don't know anything.

Quit bashing the CO, everbody talks about the CO's and bashes them, if your not doing anything wrong then be respectfull, show your license, and remeber to thank them for their service to the state. Ever done that.

And quit acting like you own the lake, it belongs to all of us.

I had a similar experience this winter except no CO involved. I caught several nice Eyes on a tip-up, there were several houses in the area, One guy asked me if I was coming back the next day told him yes and I'd like to use the same hole. When I got back out (I had a portable) his house was moved to within 2 feet of my hole. (in the dark). I measured 10.5 ft from the corner of his house and set my tip-up. They weren't happy but guess what, both of us were legal, but neither of us were ethical or sportsmanlike. I hope I never stoop to such childishness again. By the way I'd agree with the other guys give the CO's a little slack, it's a thankless job and they often have to deal with knuckleheads and drunks so a little small talk is a good ice breaker. It wasn't the CO's fault that guy moved his house. Place the blame where it belongs.

I understand how you may feel but...so the position you had just happened to be hitting the day you were there. It's just as possible that the other guy unknowingly gave up the hot hole when he moved. Walleyes move around and what is the primo spot today or this morning may not be tomorrow.

No biggie, it's a big lake. At least he didn't drill a hole outside your door while you were in your house.

Bob

I understand thet wardens have a tough job and I was perfectly legal and showed him my fish when he asked, to my knowledge in the last 5 years I have been the only one to drill holes there and I completely understand that it is a public place but I fell the warden shouldn't blab your catch to the rest of the lake, I personally heard him tell the next house. as far as spots being hot and cold this spot has been hot all year have thrown back many nice fish just feel I got a raw deal from the warden by abiding by the law and showing him my fish!

Quote:

COs have a thankless job and I wouldn't want it. But I'm glad they do.

You're glad they have a thankless job? grin.gif

Just kidding.

HonkerDown, I think that you just might be over-reacting a bit. I don't like it either when others crowd me but hey, such is the way it is. As far as that being the one place you know you can do well, except for the winter when you can actually see the holes you drilled previously, it's not likely you could put yourself precisely on the same spot over and over. Even with a GPS, the best you can expect is a margin of error of about a 9' radius. It's not like he put up a neon sign over your hotspot.

Bob

I know that when i'm fishing a lake and a CO comes up to check my license i sure don't expect him to tell me where others are catching fish, I was once fishing a small lake and doing very well on walleyes, I got checked and the CO went to the next lake and told everyone he checked there, the next day there were 15 houses set up on that "pond" and the lake was basically fished out within a few days. I know i don't own the lake, but that's making it a little too easy. I agree the CO's have a tough job and a little small talk is good, especially if they want to come in and warm up, but giving away someones hot spot just because they checked their licenses is pushing the lines of being sportsmanlike.

I think you guys are missing the point if it were any one of you in the same position you would be mad.

I got an idea, seeing how everyone here seems to think its a big lake and what the heck find another spot why dont you post your gps cords for your favorite spots, I mean what the heck its a big lake youll find another spot.

The point I am trying to make is the fact that our lakes are getting the dump beat out of them with all of the fishing pressure and new technology why do we need to have a guy spreading the news of where someone else caught fish just because he has a badge and the right to search you. so now that lake gets pressured to beat he**. At least if the bait shop is spreading the news he can make some money selling bait, what does the CO get out of. I may have come off wrong at first I am not mad that someone is fishing the rocks that I found with the camera on my 23 hole Im mad that he thinks he should tell people about others buckets.

CO ask's the others "hows it going", their reply ...fishing is lousy, I wish the DNR would do something about it....

The CO in defense replies "must not be my fault, the guy over there has a bucket full."

The people over on "X" lake are hammering them. We (the DNR) must be doing something right."

The CO gets hit with....Why you checking me, I can't catch fish that aren't here....never been able to catch my limit, let alone an over limit. Where are all the fish anyway????

What is the guy supposed to do to defend his job?

I would assume the CO was just making small talk with others. I know when I get checked I take an extra minute and chit-chat. I will be honest, I even ask if they heard where the fish are biting. Good lord, does this make me a bad person? Anyways, The CO was just doing his/her job.....relax....life is way too short to get too upset over something like this.

Cliffy.

My 2 cents. Im fishin and the CO stops by to check on us. We are not having much action and during a little chit chat I ask if anyones catching fish, he knows the shack over there is catching them, is he gonna lye and say no, I think not.He could have said there are some folks catching fish out hear,without giving away a hot spot but is it really that big of a deal???? Personalyy I would not have moved over to YOUR hot spot after you left YOUR holes. NOT...Its public and if Im not catching and you are and leave its open game. CO's have a tough enough job as it is,we should all be thankful they are there to protect our lands,water and wildlife and help them pinch those that break the rules. Life is short,take a deep breath and relax untill your bobber takes off then lock and load:):):) cool.gif

Many times I've had a hot hole and turned it over to someone on the way out. Went back the next day and other people were on it. Didn't bother me a bit. Picked up and tried to find another one. Sometimes I was lucky, sometimes not. As far as the CO giving out information, I've been recipient of info from them so I pass on my info when I can.

If you were close enough to hear him tell the next house.....then you were probably close enough to be seen putting thjose fish in the bucket....sounds like you gave YOURSELF away....if people are that close it's not a secret spot.

I agree that I would be mad too if he blabbed about what I caught. The same way that I wouldn't like friends to talk about it and bring everyone out there.

Give the guy a break, he didn't say anything bad about the CO. Most of them are very nice people and why does everyone say that they would never want to be a CO?

It is a very tough job to get and I think I would love to be one.