• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So, who sleeps in their portable?

Sonicrunch

Good timing...I'd always thought about doing it, last weekend my brother and I each slept in our clam 5600's. We each brought a folding cot; tight fit, and the frost on the walls dampened the sleeping bags by morning. It worked OK, kind of cold, as we played it safe with the heaters; left the sunflowers running, but left sizeable openings on the zippers on both ends. Kind of windy:) Anyway, I'll do it again sometime probably.

I have done it before also, I used Buddy heaters for heating. Buddy heaters are non-vented heaters, but I still left a little crack for vent. All in all it was a pretty good experience, like real cold winter camping. grin.gif

Quote:

I used Buddy heaters for heating.....like real cold winter camping.
grin.gif

I love to camp out on the ice and in the tents. Call me when you want to do "REAL" cold winter camping. We'll pitch a tent and not use heaters. It works just fine with the right clothes and planning.

Even with a heater in your portable you need to take the proper steps with clothing and food to ensure an enjoyable experience in case the heat does fail. Check out "Winter camping" post in the camping section for more ideas.

I love reading about people wanting to sleep in their shacks. It opens a whole new opportunity for fishing adventures.

I have a quickflip III and I absolutely love the bench for sleeping on. It really is not comfortable, but, I will take laying down and being somewhat uncomfortable then sitting up and trying to sleep. I just fold the back rest down, put up a rattle wheel, fall to sleep...or pass out, which ever comes first.

I have only been inside my fish house alone when doing this, I thought about trying to see if a cot will fit either in the sled or on the ice. Just to leave enough room for the holes. The downside to that is, if the cot is going the same direction of the sled it will be difficult to get over it without becoming extremely friendly with the guy who is sleeping in it....= NO GOOD! This is the main reason why I have not tried it. Besides most of my friends feel it necessary to sleep in until noon.

Quote:

The buddy portbale heaters claim to be safe for indoor or outdoor use and have a low oxygen level kill switch. Sounds like they are reasonably safe for use in this situation.

Low oxygen switch they may have. But I am more concerned about high Carbon Monoxide levels.

So, does the low oxygen shut of switch truly make this thing safe?

Can anybody comment on this?

I don't know that it truly makes it safe... it's probably safer than a sunflower though.

I believe the thinking behind the low oxygen sensor is that when the level of carbon monoxide is getting high the oxygen supply will also be depleted, killing the pilot light.

marine_man

marine_man, you win the prize, O2 for life. grin.gif Yes, the flame will change shape and temp in non-optimal oxygen, causing the flame sensor to notice and kill the gas supply. It's just a different way of reacting to the voltages from the sensor, as well as placement of the sensor in the flame. This is why a draft will kill a Buddy Heater, the cold draft moves the pilot out off the flame sensor, and whammo, the gas is cut.

Would it be possible to sleep in the sled of a fish house just bring a pillow and blankets and take every thing out. I have the eskimo III but I think it would be more comfterbal in the sled not the bench just my opinion.

I sleep overnight in my 5600 and it's great.

A couple of notes:

I use a Buddy heater attached to an 11lb tank, and it works just fine as long as it's not bitter cold out(-0). Get a coleman camp fan at Target. These things are great. They have 2 speeds, LED lights, soft blades so they are quiet and use less energy, and they will hang from a pole or the magnet/clamp sytem included in the box. I used one last week on Mille Lacs for about 12-14 hours, and the thing was still going strong when I shut it off. 4D batteries not included. It's amazing how much warmer you can keep the shelter if you blow all that hot air down from up top. I still do make sure to open the vent, or crack the door a bit when I turn in for the night.

If you are able, it's nice to insulate the shelter as well. It's kind of tough to use the bubble-foil stuff on the suitcase type shelters, but even some cheap fleece blankets hung between the support poles and the roof of the shelter can help retain heat, and will also stop the condensation drips that are inevitable...especially on the really cold nights.

I had a hard time finding a small enough cot to fit in the shelter. I'm 6', and the 5600 is 6' the long way. Doh! That can make for some cold feet in the morning.

I ended up purchasing the cheapest foldout Coleman cot that they sell at Gander. I thing that it is 72" exactly. It's pretty narrow, but it works great. I angle the cot inside the 5600 so the ends are facing the corners, and that allows me to keep 2 holes open at night, and I still have a little extra room for my feet and head.

I good sleeping bag is essential as well. It's really nice to have the extra protection just in case the heater goes kaput!

Finally, I usually set up one rattle reel and one tip-up with bells on it inside the shelter. I have had to chip them out in the morning on occasion, but nothing too serious. It is definitely cool to hear the bells go off, roll over in your sleeping bag, set the hook, and pull up a nice walleye for breakfast without ever having to take your head off the pillow.

Speaking of sleeping, what time is it anyways! Geez, I gotta get up and go fishing tomorrow(er...today)!

Have fun!

Goodnight!

A little hint when you cold weather camp get a good sleeping bag. Any clothes that are not wet (icey) lay in side the bag and sleep with them. Nice and toasty when you climb back in and more insulation on the bottom.

P.S. Wife said "we can get a double bag and get close for warmth."

I've fallen asleep in my my otter lodge an found it quite comfy, then I woke up to "honey get out of that thing an come inside, obsessed." I dont put my life on the line for a little ods sensor just keep plenty of cross wind for ventilation. Later boar

I use a Clam 6800 to sleep in attached to my voyager with the link system and fish out of the voyager, when the kids come with they play or watch DVDs in the 6800 and we fish in other and can see every thing they are doing, just like a big play pen for the little ones (no holes drilled in the 6800 if the kids are playing in it) works great. for heat we use sunflower in the voyager and leave the door cracked and the heat comes into the other, set up 2 cots and their you go. wink.gif

I've got a Canvas Plus 8*8 suitcase style portable and have probably slept in it over 100 times in the 9 years I've owned it. I like to fish up north and It's the only way to fly if you don't want to spend an extra 40-50 bucks a night on hotel rooms. Plus on clear lakes after dark is when the big girls come out to play. Oh yeah I used to use a 20# tank with a stack lantern on top one or two sunflowers off the bottom. Now I have a big buddy and use a i# on the lantern. Bought a Swiss army cot from Fleet and use a foam pad under my sleeping bag. Sometimes I sleep better in there than in my own bed plus I'm out there fishing. A little tough to move though on glare ice I can pull it anywhere on top of my Otter portable if there is snow I have to use my wheeler and trailer. Rattle reele are a wonderful thing.

I'll probably start another thread on this, but since you mentioned it:

Anyone ever try the Nor-Pac thinsulate lined shelter from Canvas Craft?

I was thinking the same as you Only Eyes, I'd like to be able to have suitcase type shelter that I can throw in the back of the truck to go up North. It doesn't need to be mobile as I'll only use it out of my truck when I can drive out.

Much cheaper than a drop-down unit, and I can sleep cozy with the rattle reels.