• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mattkimk

First Lake Trout

Well I got my first lake Trout yesterday on Grindstone. I was wondering, I have a few Rainbows to smoke can I smoke the Laker with them? Any special instructions or tips from anyone?

Congrats on the laker. Yes you can brine and smoke the lake trout along with the rainbows. Just ran a batch through the cooker two weeks ago..............mmmmmmm good.

Tunrevir~

Hey you're supposed to be saying "YES I got my first laker, I'm hooked and I can't stop thinking about getting back out and catching more of those bad boys!"

C'mon I can't be the only one grin.gif Congrats on the laker!

Yeah you are right. I was pretty excited about it and I will be heading up again Tuesday to try and hit some more. Was going to go tomorrow but my wife is coming with and she doesn't want to drive that far. So yeah, I can't wait to get back out and hit some more. laugh.gif

Woohoo, second Laker Saturday on a very cold and windy day. Got him in 40 fow. Do they typically head deeper as winter season moves on? Caught it on a tip-up with a big shiner right on bottom. By the time I got to the flag all 60 yards of line was stripped. Good thing I had tied a good knot to the tip up spool.

Congrats on the lakers!

How big were they and any pics to share?

tweed

My day is still coming.

You're on fire! We might have an addict on our hands after all. Congrats.

I have yet to see that lakers move into different depths at different times of winter. They pretty much just chase baitfish and other than looking at what structure they might use to cruise/hunt, you're best bet is just set up and see what happens. I'm biased to 50-60 fow.

grin.gif Congrats again, it is very exciting catching lakers. Just wait til you get into them jigging with artificials, The hit and set on a laker with artificial is something awesome. You do it once and I guarantee, the tip ups will be second string!!! Congrats again! A pic of a nice laker a buddy caught on artificial last winter. Keep after em. Brent Martinsonslaker.jpg

Here's a link on this site to a Deep Fried Lake Trout recipe. I promise you'll like it! You can smoke them and they are tasty too, but I personally wouldnt do it with Rainbows.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=842204&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1