• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Trap Guide

eyepatrol

I've been considering getting one of these and wonder what others think about them? They look to be a good 2-person unit. My biggest concerns:

1)Cost - any idea on range of cost?

2)Can you fit all your gear into it? Auger, locator, 5gal pale, propane tank & heater, rods

Info on this would be greatly appreciated!

You can't fit the auger into Fishtrap Guide's tub due to the set up of chairs. You will need a Yukon, which is $399 now ($100 off of regular price)

I LOVE my Guide. I have an older one so the auger fits easily. However, if you are planning to modify your Guide and put a flat deck with compartments on it, then the seat configuration will not matter. If you can't find don't want to mod it and can't find an older trap, I would be willing to sell my seat mounts and seats for a reasonable price. Note that the seats do not move independently, and that is why they changed to the new setup. Guides are lighter, smaller, and cheaper than the Yukons. That said, my buddy has a Yukon and it is really roomy. I guess it is all what you think you want or need. I am a little guy and I fit just fine in the Guide, even with someone else in there. Your call.

I have one of the older guides and everything I need fits in it nicely. If you are pulling by hand just sit the auger on top of everything as mentioned before. If I am pulling it out with the wheeler I put the auger on the back rack of the 4-wheeler. I like the guide but I rarely pull it by hand anymore since I got the 4-wheeler 4 years ago so I wish I had a bigger one like the youkon or voyager. I am 6-5 tall and have ahard time using the front zippered door. Like someone said before, it is a good 1-man unit but tight for 2.

I have a guide, and it works for a two man, a little tight, but for the money, its a pretty good house. A gas auger can sit on top of it, and it kinda locks onto the top of the seats. As a one man, it is great.

I will second that i love my guide, as a one man. Like others have mentioned it is a tight two man, especially with all your gear. I always am pulling it by hand and have no problems fitting everything i need into it, including the auger.

My buddy teases me for bringing so much stuff into his guide that we barely have any room....Now I'll have to tell him that I'm not the only one...It it always a little tight for the two of us but we are prepared for anything with all the gear we bring. cool.gif We put the auger on the ATV by the way...

i also have a guide, and i can fit my auger+gear in it no problem...it is nice and light, and i can pick it up and load it into my truck no problem...if you have a small truck (ranger, s10) it is just right for the box...a yukon would not fit in my truck

i picked mine up for $250 last year at the end of the season...now is the time to buy them

I have a guide because I own a smaller truck (colorado) with a fiberglass tonneu cover. it fits awesome, like it was made for it. Zero clearance front to back a couple inches between the wheel wells and 1 inch between the topper and my ice auger that is laying on top of it. It couldn't be a better fit.

Wow, great response everyone! I really appreciate it! I'm a "wider" guy myself and most of the time I'm fishing alone, but there will be a time where I'll be fishing with a family member or in a year or two, my son. I've got a metal rail sled that I can set the portable on. Pulls extremely easy with the 3/4" aluminum "skis", so weight won't be much of a factor pulling. Just loading. I've got a 1/2ton pickup, so either the guide or Yukon should fit.

This has all be very good information. Next step for me, go to a store and check these portables out!

THANK YOU!

I have an older Guide and love it. The only complaint that I have with it is that I wish it was a little taller. Last week I was able to fit myself, my dad and my 95 pound lab inside of my Guide. And all of my dad's "necessitities", which included about 10 lbs of candy and a small cooler. Anyone ever see one of those clown cars? smile.gif

I've had my Guide for three seasons now so I don't know if that counts as an older one or one of the newer ones. My auger with the seats pushed back lays across the seat rails and literally kind of drops into place. I wouldn't pull it with a snowmobile or wheeler like that but hand-pulling it is fine.

I fit my heater between the seats (Buddy). Rods in the hammocks (although I found my UL broken a couple of weeks ago after storing it like this for 2 years). Hammocks also have pliers, ice anchors, chaps, extra propane bottle, auger extension, line, at least one tipup, etc.. Two mats on the floor to take out if the ice is really wet. Graph and a five gallon bucket for fish fit as well. Now my son has a graph so it is getting a bit more crowded. A couple of tackle boxes also sliding around on the floor with ice scoops and a couple of rod holders if my son is along.

With all of that---I can still put the house in my Avalanche myself once you figure out how to do it.

Guide works very well for myself and my 14 year old as a two man but it would be a little tighter with a couple of adults but it will work.

If you plan on hand-pulling I would honestly get a hyfax kit. I haven't yet done it but when you get snow on the ice it would sure be helpful.

I bought a new Guide this year and love it! I need to get a bucket that is about half the height of the one I got now, then I can slide the bucket seats forward all the way. But the bucket seats are awesome. Nice to kick back and relax if the back is a little sore. Also, for transporting my gas auger, I bring the bucket seats forward, then lay the auger on the fabric on the backside and bungee cord it so it doesn't fall off while dragging it. I also like the black interior for sight fishing.

I have the Guide and it's great. I secure the auger up on the rails for the seat and it rides there very nicely. I have everything set up and just enough room for rods, tackle, 20 lb. tank and heater, Vex, one 5 gallon bucket and perhaps a little lunch...and it all fits just right. The Guide is perfect for my son and I (he's 7). I have fished out of it with another adult, and it's OK, but a bit tight at times. All in all, its a great 2 man IMO. Also, I got the runners and it does make pulling the sled much easier...although when my 7 year old gets a few more years on him, pulling is going to get even easier yet grin.gif

As for price, watch the classifieds on this site and other fishing sites. I picked mine up from a fellow FM'er at a very reasonable price ($275 if I remember right), and it was in nearly new condition.

I had a guide that, since I bought a Voyager, I traded for some stuff. I took the seats out of the Guide and just used lawn chairs that fit MINT in the sled. No problem fitting everything in the sled. With the seats out the lawn chairs in you get a tad bit more leg room also.

I picked up a brand new guide from a bait shop in Milaca a couple weeks ago for $299. This is the first house I've ever owned and I absolutly love it.

I'm a bigger guy myself and I think it has plently of room even with 2 guys in it. I fished with my uncle earlier in the season and he has a guide that is probably 6 years old and I felt kind of cramped but I haven't felt that way with mine.

Check out the different traps and pick the right one for you but in my opinion, you can't go wrong with the guide.