• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trap Attack - Silver Lake, Perry NY

Timmie . . .it's Jim not Joe. . . but you were on a roll. I too want to thank everyone who helped out and all the well wishers. John it was good seeing you on the ice and my sympathy goes to you for the mile and a half trek you made to deliver the goods. Yes it was brutal out there on Friday, but more so on Saturday. Appreciated Jimmie stopping a couple of times while my 57 year old legs and wind gathered their strength. We stopped about 30 seconds behind Tim and Kyle on the long trek and drilled 4 holes each and got set up for the 8 o'clock start. When I put the Marcum in the second hole . . 34 fow,the bottom was alive up to 5 feet . . . BAM . . . Jimmie drilled another hole and we were good to go . . . it was the SPOT!!! We left about 15 minutes after Tim and Kyle and had 8 nice fish, nothing under 9 inches. The walk back was a 5 rester all into the 30 mph wind. We had 2 hours to catch our 7 gills and Jimmie had the hot hole!! left with 20 minutes to go with our fish and dumped the perch and the bigger gills on the ice and counted. Yep, 8 and 7! Well that was it for the exhiliration of catching 2 limits and having decent size fish. As they weighed the "big fish" one of the weigh masters said it looked like there was 8 gills. Another count and sure enough . . .(Contact Us Please). One of the weighmasters handed the smallest fish to us and said here . . . another said what do we do now. I spoke up and said we were DQ'd for bringing too many fish to the scales and the judged said he agreed . . .that was the rules that were briefed the night before. So we ended with a big goose egg on the score board. Seems like a pretty big penalty for a small mistake . . .not like trying to smuggle in fish in your jacket or something like that. Would have liked to seen the big fish culled and that is the weight you get. But, that was not the rules they briefed the night before . . . fair is fair. One of the judges said that was too bad, you guys had a good weight. I later put some pen to paper and used some conservative weights and came out with 5.45 lbs . . .17th place. Well some very good lessons learned. Dump ALL the fish, count em as they lay. We only "saw" maybe 2 fish still in the bucket . . . but that little bugger was hiding. As the Captain of the team I should have known better . . . do now!!! Again thanks to all for the moral support . . . and Jimmie . . . great fishing with you . . . anytime. Tim and Kyle (or should I say Gag Hurlbritter), indeed a great time by all. BTW just to let all know how much energy can be expended on the ice . . . all 4 of us ate a full prime rib dinner and 2 hours later were into pizza and wings!!! Hey, what's that I smell???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Frank that's right, I forgot...Our pre-fishing partner's got tanked Friday night and didn't show up to pre-fish till noon on Saturday. Kyle who was still feeling the after effects of peers and jagermeisterss pre-fished with us about 15 min. and then wen't back to the truck to crash. grin.gif that's my partner! grin.gifshocked.giflaugh.gif

Thanks John.. I wish you could of slipped one of those big slobs in my bucket before weigh in. grin.gif Excellent report from the King can't wait to get up there and fish it. Will make it happen soon. Got out of work early today with these lake effect bands and wind slamming us.

I would just like to apologize to the "Rome" boy's and Frank!! for my lack of counting to seven knowledge... I went to public school grin.gif. And I was great fishing with frankie and Kyle and Tim, had a blast, Is was good to meet BigJohnny too!

I was cold!! and WINDY!! but we caught fish,had a Great time!! and might have did all right if we weighed, But we will never know.....and that "staying out to late" Friday is all Rumor!! but kyle looked like a puppy holing his head out the window on the drive to silver! That's all i'll say.HA!

Well we will see you on the Ice!!

I'll be the guy with one EXTRA fish!!

Thanks der Walleyes - Dave you been getting out lately on the ice there? Hows the little (getting bigger)Pihulaaks(s.p.)?

salmonseeker73 - Jimmy I really wanted you guys to weigh especially with what Frank approximated for weight, who knows man... Next year make sure the ex keeps junior till like 7 so we can stay for the entire weigh in. That's my second trap and it would be great to see the final weigh in just once...

I wasn't without fault either while my partner Kyle was being interviewed by Dave Genz a local reporter was talking to me and I didn't relay my big weigh fish before the bucket got to the scale and we had a dandy perch that should have been there in the running for big fish, distractions...

We learned a whole lot and will push on... It was still a fantastic event even with the bad weather. Nobody let down and fished and walked and fished and walked again, though you didn't weigh you both caught fish and deserved to be there with the pro's. I'm proud of you both...

Kudo's go to Ice Team for putting on a great event, the observers, coordinataors and Power Sticks shined through the harsh and bitter cold conditions. Is there anybody louder than Smitty man does he have a set of pipes grin.gif

CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS unfortunally donnie and i did not do very well we only had one slammer gill about3/4 lb and three smaller ones.We decided not to weigh in mad.gif anyways donny says congrats to all of you also and was glad to meet all of you.Johnney,jimmy,kyle it was nice meeting you guys and hope to fish with you guys again.Tim,franky i hope to see you guys real soon also hopefully with better weather conditions again CONGRATS TO ALL YOU GUYS SEE YOU ON THE ICE cool.gif.

Jim, there are no apologise to be made . . .we were a team and that's the way it goes. There will be other days to come and each time out is a lesson learned. As long as we don't go through the ice and not come back up to fish another day, its all good.

Thunderman- It was nice seeing you and Donny on the ice and talking to you that night after the event. Will regroup and hit again next season. Like Frank said nobody wen't down or suffered major injuries or got caught in a ditch with the wind and blowing snow and we all returned home safely.

Can you imagine the Ice Team's trailer heading back today through this stuff talk about not wanting to travel to Michigan for this weekend's TA.

North Shore just called and he's got a ton of snow at the beach and it's still falling and Camden picked up a foot last night. I think were gonna need a plow on the lake this weekend in some shoreline areas spots but the winds are pretty stiff so hopefully most of it won't stick to the main lakes... One things for sure it's ugly out there...

I appreciate your concern when we came off the ice we were just too bummed out we didnt have any good luck with the fish at all. and when we did find the blues there was some one useing power augers the fish would scatter confused.gif we would move and it would happen again. I got frustrated and i think donny was frustrated also.I think between the wind and cold wasnt helping either.You guys i appreciate your concern it just wasnt our day see you guys on the ice soon.Thunderman

Dave - I know exactly what your talking about my son Tyler is 6' 3" tall and is working out every day after school getting his body in shape for Basic Training in the Corp the end of June. He wouldn't think of messing with the old man I still have 70 pounds on him...LOL

Say hello to Tom and Chuck for me next time your fishing with them. I sure do miss you guys...

Man if that trip is anything like the last one you guys had the details will be hilarious. Good luck up there on the angle, should be another fun filled bash.

Just got off the phone with Maki and shot the bull on the TA as always it's great to talk and meet with the old gang. Wish we all lived closer...

Thanks Bret! So hows the wac doing, back to a 100% and kicking tail is he?

50 walleyes OMG! That's a heck of a fish trip just for catching...

Just for you CNY Guys.. Duffman and WallEYES are original card carrying Ice Shanty Gang members from Minnesota. Still have my old green wool Up-North Outdoors hat and like to break it out on occasion still. Thanks for stopping in yous guys...

Tim just wanted to say nice job sounds like the weather was just hell but you guy made out good . fished a small lake sunday near the house caught a hand full of perch and hand full of slabs . saturday fished a small derby by the house finished second in perch

THE LX5 is awsome when people are standing around waiting for tip ups to go off they look over and were pulling fish out of the water . going up to the dike this saturday to pull some slabs out of the ice will spend so time with the camera then . sunday fishing a small dery on queechy lake hopefuly hook some nice trout. you have to make some plans to come east some time . not a lot of snow out here or water on the ice just tons of ice