• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heating up food?

Huey

I have a Big Buddy and an old sunflower heater. I'd like to rig up some kind of rack to heat up precooked food; stuff like breakfast burritos, soup, ham and cheese sandwich. If you could rig something to hold the food dirctly above the heating element they should heat up nicely. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance for any help.

Huey

A friend of mine welded a stiff piece of wire mesh and to support brackets to the top of and in front of his sunflower heater. This allows him to set small pots and cans on the mesh and cook small meals.

You could also sell the sunflower and pick up a Mr. Heater Cooker. That is what i used and it works very well.

Yeah. Grease could be a problem. You're fish house could turn into a smoke house. smirk.gif This wknd I'm going try heating up breakfast burritos and brats with the big buddy, but I'll double wrap everything in aluminum foil and hopefully contain the grease. We'll see.

Always pre cook your food as you may not get it cooked properly. Go the Low Carb route as well. Bring wings, sausages venison. Keep it easy. If you want more, get a better cooker. Maybe a Coleman run by propane.

Good Luck

The Mr. cooker heater is the way to go. A can of campbells thick and hearty, or progresso work great... good soup and have flip top lids. works great, stir often. reheated lots of stuff wrapped in a little tin foil. When I am hungry i need to eat, and ice fishing a try to pack "light" if thats possible anymore. cooker heater is the way to go unless you ave a perm. w/ power and microwave.

I remember going to a twins game years ago. We took some hot dogs, took 'em out of the wrapper, wrapped 'em in foil, and tucked them onto the manifold of our car that got really hot while driving to the game. When we got to the game, we had nice and hot, hot dogs! Not exactly five star cuisine, but will work in a pinch. Probably wouldn't work with pizza though crazy.gif

Not exactly an answer to your question, but if I am going on an all day outing, I usually cook up some hot dogs, brats, polish sausage etc and put them in a thermos with some hot water. They stay warm all day and it beats having to worry about cooking!