• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tell me about fish elevators

Weed Shark

I do have one question with this product. Not trying to put any negative to it, just was wondering if this has any negative effect on the fish. It looks like a great product, but is there any way that this could damage any of their fins or the such. May be the dumbest question that you have heard, I just wanted to get a better idea on the materials and spacing on the side of holes. I may be getting one, just wanted to know everything. Thanks.

Bigtime, I made the disc 1 1/4" smaller than each hole size to allow room for freeze in. The material is polycarbonate, very strong and only slightly flexible. The only damage I have seen on fish is a few scales knocked off when jamming a huge fish into a hole in less than 11" of ice. It seems the reaction of all fish is to swim up out of the hole as fast as they can once you activate the elevator. I have never noticed any damage to fins, gills, or tail.

The Fish Elevator gives you the same feeling of control as when the fish is netted. laugh.gif

Damage to a fish is a legit question. Compare it to a gaff and then decide.

I've used sturdy poly scoops (hockey stick) to aid getting fish up and out. I detest body gaffing. This device looks to be a basic big step up from using a scoop. It may save the occasional healthy fish from going back down the hole with a treble hook lodged in his mouth.

I'm interested in one.

'Eye-Skater

Eyeskater, Yes, it is no doubt better than a gaff! Not only is it 100% easier to use (no aiming at thrashing fish, you just grab the handle and the door closes from underneath), but it is 100% safer for the fish and your LINE! I know I've sure had fish snapped off by a guy trying to gaff my fish. One of the greatest things as well is the strength of the disc and your ability to pop your whole hole open from skim ice with The Fish Elevator.