• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a used Boat

not_nuf_time

Question

I am a boat owner so I'm not a greenhorn just haven't bought a boat in the winter before. My question is how do you all go about buying a boat in the winter and being comfortable that when you take it out in the spring it doesn't sink and the motor trolls down and so on and so on. Do you just take the sellers word for it that its a great boat and hope and pray. Thanks for replies.

4 answers to this question

I would sincerely doubt a boat will "sink" with no signs if external damage. wink.gif

Anyway, you would want to have motor compression checked and lower unit pressure tested. Also depending on boat (aluminum or fiberglass) check hull for stress cracks/spiderwebs, loose rivets, cracked welds, etc. Tilt motor up completely and bunce it up and down to see if there's movement in transom, if it gives just a little....walk away immediately unless price is for motor alone.

The main reason for buying a boat in wintertime is price, if it's very appealing, you can ask to have inspected by a dealer/mechanic, it will cost a little money but you will have peace of mind. If price of boat is same as open season....wait until open season, non need to spend money on something will be parked in garage for another 3 months.

If your buying and I/O and it isnt properly winterized you could easily have a cracked head, block, manifolds etc...Be cautious. You could right a sales contract dependant on a sea trial at first available chance. If its an I/O it is possible to have a cracked head and run it on those "ears" on a garden hose and run fine; put it in the water and lock the engine up solid! crazy.gif

Actually if it's a I/O not winterized it will crack the block, not the heads. It will make a crack along the outside of the block right below the exhaust manifold, they are tough to see right away, but an inspection with a light will show it, also if you run it on muffs it will leak a lot, in a case of frozen I/O the exhaust manifold(s) could be at risk too, and they are not cheap to replace.