• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you really stand up in a small Tracker (170-190)

Slyster

I am looking to get a small boat (large for me..) like a Tracker 16' or 18'... their cheaper versions. They do look kindof small and not very heavy.

Does anyone have experience with these? How stable are they and can one REALLY stand up?

Here's a 170 size I found on the internet.

tracker.jpg

Sly,

You could dance a jig on one foot in this boat. Sure the boat will sway a little, but they're not tippy.

Now the ride of a jonboat/modified V jonboat is quite an experience. On the lakes around here, that boat is fine most days. But, take a windy day on WBL and try running that rock skipper at full bore. You will find new meaning to the word bone-jarring.

As far as Tracker boats go, their best draw is their price. The boat itself is so-so. I would also look at boats of this style from Lowe or Crestliner first. G3 is another one that makes a boat like the Tracker. I don't think you will find huge differences in price, but there are differences in quality.

I have a 17' bass tracker pro an 88 model with a 40hp. I have been very happy with it over the years. I'm a pretty good size guy and it is not tippy at all. I also beg to differ about running waves in it. When it is up on plane it zips right along on top. Just like any boat you have to drive it and it is not a heavy glass boat so there is of course a difference in ride, but there is also a difference in price. I have always felt safe in this boat and my 4 kids have grown up fishing out of it. I expect the grand kids to log some hrs in it also..

I have an old tracker fiberglass bass boat with a 150, so I can not really respond to how tippy the aluminum ones are. Here are my thoughts though. The newest issue of bass and walleye boats has several ads for the new small boats to compete with the Tracker brand, all $12,995. Stratos, Triton and I beleive Crestliner had adds. The Stratos is a glass boat with a 50 Yami. They show it next to the Tracker with 2 guys standing on the gunnals, 2 guys on the gunnals of the Tracker also. The Tracker was almost under on the side, while the Stratos barely tilted. I know it was an ad for Stratos, but very convincing. The Triton also looked like a nice boat and is wider than the Tracker. For the same money I would check out the Triton and Stratos. Stratos looked pretty nice for the money at the boat show. Just my thoughts.

I've got an old (20 years) tracker MV-16 that has served me very well. I love how easy it is to trailer and launch, no matter what the ramp conditions are. I even launched in a few situations where there wasn't a ramp, just a relatively smooth tapered shoreline. As far as stability goes, mine has 72" of beam, 54" of bottom width and is stable enough that i don't even think about it as i walk around on the casting decks. One of the 17-footers that Tracker now makes has 89" of beam and 60" of botton width. I would expect that boat to have all the stability you would ever need. I agree about the rough ride on choppy water, especially when you're fishing alone. More weight in the boat improves it slightly. Usually you just have to throttle back a little in choppy conditions. I'm getting close to trading in my 20-year old boat for a new model. I'll probably look hard at the Tracker 17 footers, but the Triton VT 17 also looks very intriguing. Judging from the pictures on Tritons HSOforum, the hull looks a little closer to a full V than the other Mod V boats. Does anyone have any fishing experience with the Triton VT 17? How was the ride? how was the boat layout and extra features??

Quote:

I am looking to get a small boat (large for me..) like a Tracker 16' or 18'... their cheaper versions. They do look kindof small and not very heavy.

Does anyone have experience with these? How stable are they and can one
REALLY
stand up?

Here's a 170 size I found on the internet.

tracker.jpg

Does it have to be a bass boat?

Last year I bought a Tracker Proguide V-16 w/ 50 Horse 2 stroke for $10,999... Thing is 16'4" long and has an 85" beam... I can dang near host a dance party on my boat!