• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Presentations

MNMAV93

hi everyone, i have been planning on going ice fishing on this public pond tomorrow and the water that i will be fishing is 15 fow, kind of stained and a hard bottom. i like to use just a jig and a eurolarvae or waxie. what would you guys suggest for a presentation and what depth should i have my jig at.

thanks

nip

Do you have a power auger and a flasher of some sort? If you do, I would drill many different holes around and hole hop untill you find something. If you don't have a power auger, I would still reccommend drilling multiple holes. As you approach a new hole, don't grab your tiny jigs that you think would catch finicky fish, start with a pretty good size jig. I like to fish with Eurolarvae, and have had great luck hooking about 5-6 of them on the treble hook of a medium sized forage minnow. They sink great and if there are fish around, you will probably catch one fairly quickly. I would also have a rod rigged with some sort of horizontal jig. Being that the water is darker, a glow jig would be in your best interest.

Being that you are in that shallow of water, I would probably start on the bottem and slowly work it up. If you don't have a flasher it would be hard to see if anything is suspended. Try multiple depths and if you catch one remember where you were and get er back down quick, because there are probably a couple more waiting to get plucked.

Good Luck

CA

I would rig up a rod with a jigging spoon or larger profiled presentation as well. You can always deadstick a minnow if need be, but I would focus more on your jigging set-up.

Like mentioned, horizontal presentations can be important. Jigs like the Ratso can work well, as will Power Minnows or Tubes. Don't neglect the smaller jigging raps either, they can be deadly on slabs.

I would also go with some sort of glow, or atleast possibly some sort of silver or flash.

Do you know what type of forage is most prevalent in this lake? I would assume a lot of smaller organisms, but I'm sure minnows play a role too. Also, are you targeting areas with weeds, or are you cruising over a basin?

I would also try and find some soft bottom areas too...

well its hard to follow Matt J but ill try, You said that you are fishing in stained water right. And yea Jigging is a great way to do but make sure your jigs have rattles, It will make it more easy for the fish to find your bait in stained water. You might want to try some Gulp Magets(spelling?) I have used them sometime and its something different for the fish. But Just try different thing and see what the fish tell you!!! Good luck