• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ZR580 Carb Settings

redtrucks

I have a 96 ZR580 that has a hard time idling by its self when cold and after it has been warmed up it seems like I always need to use the choke to restart it. I've cleaned the carbs but I must have something adjusted wrong. It does seem to run pretty rich. Anyone have any suggestions on what adjustments I could make to it?

If its just running too rich, you could change a jet size. Look on the clutch cover and there should be a jetting chart on there and see where you are at.

Another possibility would be checking your air screws. I think they should be out 1 1/2 turns on those carbs, but I can't remember for sure, you better check that. Another thing that could be a problem is if the choke cables on the two carbs aren't set the same they can be working against each other a little, also for that matter while you are checking, make sure the needles are set on the same level too...

Good luck.

First things first Every time I have seen this problem It has been one idle jet partially plugged. In 95% of all cases the owner was using Stable or sea foam. A 96 zr pumps alot of oil into the crank case which can make the exhaust looks rich. Don't touch the air screws or main jet, pull the carbs out soak them. Also another check is when you feel the sled is acting up open the choke just alittle if it runs better it's not too rich. Or give me a call which would have been better tan posting anyway.

redtrucks-

Sounds alot like my 1992 EXT 550. I have to pay attention to that sled for about 5 minutes while it is warming up. Once that engine hits some sort of magical temperature, it'll idle down on its own and purr like a kitten. smile.gif

I do have my idle set a tad lower than it probably should be however.

I usually have to give it half choke and pull once or twice to start it after its been running.