• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fiskars Splitters

MJCatfish

I've been eyeballing the splitting axe and the splitting maul that Fiskars makes. I've seen them at Home Depot and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I'm intrigued by the design of the head. The handle seems a little light, but if I know Fiskars, they're going to put their name on good products only. Any feedback?

MJ

I've had one for about 5 years now, it rocks! And anyone who's been camping with me and tried it is usually impressed. The other axes or hatchets that make the trip rarely get touched after they use the splittin maul. The logs will just pop apart.

I think it's a safety tool, when people start swinging dem hatchets and axes around, well, it can lead to mishaps. We bring 30" bowsaws for cutting, and the Fiskars for splitting, that's my rule for use, splitting only, no chopping with it. The handle may be light but it seems industructable. Seen a buddy completely miss the log with the head, and hit it with the handle. The handle bent and sprung back, I'm positive that blow would have snapped any wood handle. I think Gerber makes one as well these days, and it might be cheaper.