• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin Turkey Application Results - Online 1/31/07

Hotspotter

Just received an email from Andrea Mezera, Assistant Upland Wildlife Ecologist for the WIDNR regarding turkey permits:

Quote:

Hi Joel,

You will be able to check online to see if you rec'd a spring turkey permit. You can do this by going to the
HSOforum
:

Click on "permits" and "I would like to submit my application or check my winner status/preference points". Just proceed to answer the questions and you will log yourself in. Just follow the spring turkey information.

Note: we just completed the drawing and are in the process of doing data checks. I would estimate the info should be on the
HSOforum
either late next week or the following week. Hope that helps!

Upon following these steps, the HSOforum says drawing results with be available 1/31/07.

Now who were the people complaining about our drawing times, and that WI is faster? smile.gif

Joel

Just got mine! Season "E" is about all they'll let us non-residents from across the river get smile.gif

Should be a really good time, tho scouting time may be limited.

The web form wasn't up, though I called the general DNR number there and they let me know my fate.

Joel

ohh man, ohh no... sombody check, is my nose bleeding? BECAUSE THE DEITZ MAN WAS TAGGED...

yeeee haw!!!! look out you nasty faced big ole tasty birds, I'm a comin with both barrels.. ok so its a pump and only has one barrel, but it just doesnt sound as cool as both barrels...

gobble gobble!

Joel, this post made my day. Thanks for the link!! I went in and checked and both my son and I got permits again this year. Me boy got his first bird last year and now pops is looking to bag his first one with a bow.

I hunt in Trempealeau Cty WI, where do the rest of Ya'll hunt turkeys?

Chris

I checked online earlier and couldn't get any info but my bud who I put in as a group with said he got the 4th season, end of April. We'll be north of Eau Claire near Colfax in his honey hole!

Ray, Waumandee is sweet, my dad grew up just south of there in Oak Valley and my grandmother is buried in the cemetery in Waumandee. Till last year I hunted near Gilmanton - truly God's country, especially in spring.

Quote:

truly God's country, especially in spring

I couldn't agree with you more, Cooter. Even on the days when the birds shut down and I have no idea where they are in those hills, I still can't think of a better place to spend a warm spring afternoon than walking a deer trail half way up a hill.

well i didnt get drawn this year got one last year so ill have to go buy my tag in march and deal with the last week of the turkey season hunting by grantsburg hopefully get drawn in 2008 spring season

I applied for a permit several times in the Prairie du Chien area... I have relatives with a farm down there... Can't seem to get a permit though... so I apply up here in the metro area and always get one for the last of the two seasons.

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

well i didnt get drawn this year got one last year so ill have to go buy my tag in march and deal with the last week of the turkey season hunting by grantsburg hopefully get drawn in 2008 spring season

Mikie,

I used to apply North of Centuria and would not get picked because of how I was applying. Granted I was a non-resident landowner even. So I called the local Game/Fish DNR guy and he explained exactly how to apply so I would be sure to get drawn based on his ubderstanding of preference system.

That might be worth a shot.

Just got our permits in the mail today. I got the first season, April 11-15 in Zone 37. Will be hunting around the Prairie Farm area. My husband got a permit for the same zone, May 16-20. I get Landowner Preference from my dad, he doesn't hunt. We are moving down there this month so the good news is for next year we will own enough land for my husband to get Landowner Preference and I will just get if from my dad so we each should be guaranteed a tag every year. One can never get enough turkey hunting!! There is nothing better than sitting out early on a cool spring morning listening to a bunch of gobblers answer your calls. We have turkey hunted the past two years, the first year I got a bird and last year my husband shot one within 10 feet of where I had got mine the year prior. Growing up there I never saw a turkey until about 7 or 8 years ago, now they are everywhere. I love it!!!

fishtrapgirl

Fishtrapgirl, thanks for relaying your experiences. That's what it's all about anyway right?

Last year my son got his first turkey with gun and I got skunked with bow. This year I'll be looking for my first bird with a bow but I'll just enjoy hearing that first Tom gobble as dawn breaks on top of the oak ridge.

UGUIDE,

Getting a turkey with our bows is our goal also for this year. We wanted to use our bows before, but having never really turkey hunted before we figured we should use a shotgun. Well, both the turkeys we have got were under 20 yards away and would have been a good bow shot. So definetely this year we will give it a try. Good luck with this year's hunt!

fishtrapgirl

This is our 1st year turkey hunting . Heading back from Yellow Lake last summer we saw a bunch of Turkeys along side the road and we figured hunting them would be a Turkey shoot . Get it ? Anyway applied for a permit and did a little research and discovered that roughly 25% of Turkey Hunters are successful . So much for the Turkey Shoot . But we drew 2 permits for Zone 38 and I'm really looking forward to it .

You bet, 25% is a standard avg. so to speak throughout all the turkey hunting land. Locally, and per-permit-area, odds are different, specifically for earlier seasons. Not to burst your bubble any further, but odd for later seasons like the one I'm hunting is typically even poorer odds! confused.gif

However, what the stats do not show, are the odds of a well-prepared hunter with some scouting under their belt!!! I keep track of the successes of the good turkey hunters I know (shhh, don't tell them smile.gif), and these folks avg. around 75%, and they pass on jakes! Even though this is your first year, be as prepared as possible, and never quit! Your odds are much better than the 25% stated then.

Good luck.

Joel

No bubble to burst here . I'm stoked . If I don't see one that'll be OK . Gander Mtn. is having a Clinic 3/27 up here so I'll get in on that and prepare best that I'm able but just being back in the woods will be nice . I was charged by a Brown Bear in AK years ago , close - 10' , and have been kinda skittish in the woods since but I'm really looking forward to this and hopefully all goes well . I'm heading to the store for a box of stuffing right now .

Quote:

However, what the stats do not show, are the odds of a well-prepared hunter with some scouting under their belt!!!

So very true JN. Also, like any other type of hunting, the more time you put into it bumps your odds dramatically.

UGUIDE:That Boscobel/Stuben area has very pretty country down there.Lots of hills and ridges.Matter of fact,it's all hills and ridges.Every thing seems to be up or down.No such thing as a straight road there.Farm fields up on top or down in the bottoms with woods on the side hills.Very nice when the country starts to green up. Lots of birds too.

Paintbrush, that terrain sounds familiar. These hills ain't for breakfast anymore. They eat your lunch and dinner too!

At 25% grade I guess you could cal it turkey terrain. Seems like their favorite pattern is to fly off the tops in the morning allllllllll the way down to the bottom and spend the rest of the day working their way back up to roost at the end of the day.

Thank God we have something to look forward to in the spring for hunting.