• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first time turkey hunter 443 season H

rattlem'up

hey guys i got chose for 443 season H Had to have season H cuz other guys i know are goin G and they said my buddy and I could go H. so yeah. first time turkey hunting and the closest i've gotten to it was seeing it on tv so any help would be much appreciated! i've got a stoeger that came with a turkey choke in it but i've still got to pattern it yet.

Rattlemup:

Glad to have you in the turkey forum!

First off, welcome, and congrats on getting drawn for a tag. You'll find plenty of useful information by searching through the archives, and if you have specific questions that need answering, fire away. There are a number of very knowledgeable turkey hunters here willing to share quality information. I would urge you to attend a DNR Wild Turkey Clinic in your area for some of the basics, and to have an opportunity to meet some hunters in the area.

As for your gun, check out some past posts on the Stoeger. Both Borch and I own one and use them for turkey hunting.

Good luck, and thanks for posting!

Joel

rattlem'up,

First, congrats on drawing a permit.

How well do you know the guys hunting the previous season? It sounds as though you'll be hunting the same land. If that's the case, see if you can tag along on some of their preseason scouting trips. If they've hunted turkeys before, and are familiar with the land, that would give you a HUGE headstart.

Next, you need to decide how you're going to call. I would suggest starting with a simple box call. I'd also get a diaphragm call and start practicing. DVD's can help you learn. An experienced caller can help you learn faster.

You can keep things basic for your first season. By basic, I mean good camo, a few calls, and a patterned shotgun. No need to buy all kinds of equipment yet unless you really want to.

Last of all, don't be afraid to ask questions. As was mentioned, there are a lot of experienced turkey hunters on this forum, and even though I've chased turkeys for a number of years, I'm continually learning new things from them. We all started from scratch at some point.

If you have an NWTF chapter nearby, they would also be a great source of information.

Good Luck. I look forward to hearing about your first season.

Congrats on getting drawn! I too am hunting one of the later seasons. I apply for the later seasons and get drawn almost every year. I figure that I'd like to be in the woods trying to score on a longbeard rather than wishing for an early hunt that I didn't get drawn for. Some hunters will tell you that it's tougher to hunt the toms later, but it can be very productive.

Late season toms may be educated to calls and decoys. For that reason, I spend a lot more time scouting than I do hunting. I figure that I spend 3 to 5 hours scouting for every hour that I spend hunting. I sneak out to my fields every morning that I can, from the Spring thaw to my hunt date, and glass from the roads. Turkeys are creatures of habit and will generally follow the same paths every day unless something spooks them. Pattern your flocks and set up on their daily path. Often they'll strut right to you without a decoy and a couple of clucks on your call.

Good Luck!!

Congrats,

Now the fun begins!

You'll need to practice some calling, Do some scouting and shoot a bunch of shells. Like Joel said we both shoot the Stoegers for turkeys and have posted what has worked for us. Do a search. Be aware thouogh that every gun is different and your results may vary. Sounds like you'll have some freinds hunting so if you plan it out you can all chip in to try different ammo to see what works.

Good Luck!

rattlem'up,

look in your booklet you received from the DNR. I have a clinic coming up on March 3rd in Le Sueur if you're interested. Plenty of room. It's been a strange year so far as I've only received 3 calls from interested hunters.