• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

my new trees turned brown

outdoor ran

I don't think I got enuff water into my balsam trees this fall. I transpanted 3 of them and they were doing so good and all of a sudden there turning brownish red. Are they goners or is there any way i can bring them back this spring?

Would i have a better chance getting evergreens from a nursery to survive then transplanting wild ones? thanks for the advice guys.

The biggest threat to the transplanted trees was that you planted them in the fall. Evergreens especially have a very difficult time dealing with any changes in the fall.

Its possible that lots of water and maybe some fertilizer in the spring might help them perk back up, but I would bet there was some frost damage to the roots.

Sounds like sun burn. Pines are sensitive to dry, sunny, windy weather in the winter, especially balsams. Did you dig them from the shade and replant into sun or wind? you can try wrapping them in burlap to protect them till spring.

I have 6 balsam trees and I found out that even though they need water, to much water is almost worst. The first year I had them alot of needles turned yellow and dropped off because it rained alot that fall. My yard has heavy soil so I have to be very careful.If you have sandy soil then over watering probably is not the cause.Anyways good luck.

otter did the trees come back or did you have to rip them out. Guess i'am just wondering if I'm going to have to put all new ones in this spring? I have about 8 inches of soil then its sand. I dug huge holes and put good dirt in when I planted them.

About 1/3 of my needles dropped so the trees were thin but still green.They are all ok now but it was only year 2. I still have to make sure the ground is dried out if i'm going to run the sprinker system in the fall after the temperure drops. They were 10ft tall and I only paid $25 for each of them. But picking them up and planting them was a job. Is there any green left or not?

The 2 little ones are pretty much all brown now and the nicest one, the bigger one is just brown in the middle but all the way around. Wish I could find some ten footers to buy. That would be sweet. Did you plant them by hand or did you need machine?

They were already dug up and put in wire baskets. They were even loaded on my trailer. All I had to do was get them home, dig big holes and roll them off the trailer. They came from an old Christmas tree farm that a builder bought for his son so he would have something to do.The other trees in my yard came from nursery tree farm that if you know the guy the tree are $100 cash and carry.The same trees are $250 at their store.The one tree I would suggest is a maple Autumn Blaze. It a hybrid, a cross between a silver maple and a red maple.This tree grows fast like a silver but the roots grow down like a red. Plus in the fall the leafs turn red almost like a suger.