• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP - Vexilar FL-18 issues

frozenfeet

Has anyone had a problem with the bottom indication on the zoom side of the display moving up to the 2' mark on the scale? I just had the new update done by Vexilar and it was supposed to fix that. Now it is still happening. It will go back down to the 0' mark if I shut the vexilar off and turn it back on. My FL-18 is one of the first ones that were sold. This seems to happen if it is on for an hour or two steady. Kind of worthless considering it should be on all the time while you're fishing. I'm really curious if anyone else has this problem??

This is an issue with the FL-18...mostly when pulling from one hole to another in AZ mode, or when pulling transducer to ice a fish and then dropping back in. Vex's fix is...turn to Normal, turn gain all the way up...turn back to AZ...then adjust gain back to your previous mode. Its a pain in the rear...but thats what you have to do. OR, go back to normal before pulling the transducer out of the hole...

or......ask CNYTim what he would do wink.gif

I've had the same issue. It seems to go away after a little bit, but like you say, it appears that the bottom jumps up to 2 feet on the zoom side. Sounds like there are a few remedies, but whats the cause? Good post!!

By the way, welcome to the site Frozen Feet. Hope you have some time on your hands, cause this site will keep you comin back for more...and more...and more.... Theres a TON of post about Vex's here...just do a forum search either here or on the equipment forum. More tips and info then you can shake a jig stick at!!!

I have the same stupid problem with mine! Sometimes it is way worse-especially in really clear water. Ive had it messed up all the way past the 5' mark at times and no matter what you do it will not go away. I wonder what that is all about? Hopefully someone from Vexilar will see this post...

Justin

The original problem was initially soft bottom reading, basically the zoom would not hold, had the update free of charge from Vexilar and two outings later the same thing happened. Sold it immediately and purchased another LX-3, end of story...

Thanks Tim, I was wondering if you missed my (mostly) tounge in cheek remark!!grin.gif

It really IS a pain to deal with...but I will have to deal with it for a couple more years at least until a new.....flasher...is in my budget!!

I had just received the Vex back from Vexilar Inc. just before December and they performed a free software upgrade that was supposed to solve that problem and it didn't. I guess I'll be sending Vexilar Inc. another e-mail!!! confused.giffrown.gif

Let me know what they say, Feet, cause I sent mine in and they sent it back with the instructions on how to counter it...which makes me think they cant really "fix" it. Now, my buddy has the dual ducer and it doesnt happen to him as often...

I also have the same problem. A quick power on/off usually takes care of the problem. I've had my FL-18 for 3 years now. I see people on this post mention an "upgrade" from Vexilar. Can any one tell me about this "upgrade" and if I need to send my 3 year old unit in to have this done. Thanks.

I recently took my fl18 to vexilar because I thought it made to much noise. They were very helpful and fixed my problem and during our conversation I brought this problem up to the tech and he told me to do what everybody here is saying turn it off then on, Never said anything about an upgrade.

It is a circuit upgrade for Vex's with a serial # within a specific range...if yours is 3 years old you may want to check it out. I sent mine in to get the 300' mode upgrade..they just somehow zap the circuit board and the "upgrade" is done. I did mine 2-3 years ago...The problem is as simple as when you move the ducer while the unit is on in zoom mode, it loses bottom and has a hard time re-aquiring...unless you turn it off or adjust from AZ to norm and back. Go to Vex's web site and poke around