• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

coyote call question

has anyone ever used a sceery rabbit distress call i just got one and have playing arround with it and wondering if there are any little tricks or hand positions to help me learn faster... all help is greatly Appreciated

Basically any with any closed reed distress call, cup your hand aroung the front of the caller to control volume and a little bit of the tone, open and close your hands to kind of "waahhwahhh" the call as you blow in the other end.

A wounded rabbit really raises cain when it is hurt, so don't be afraid to really lay into the caller. 15-20 second burst, then wait 2-5 minutes and hit another 15-20 sec. burst. Start out with a little less volume at first in case one is close by. move the call side to side as you call too. Good luck....

Gosh, I like that M yellow icon next to Picksbigwagon name.... grin.gif

Ladies and gentlemen welcome Picksbigwagon as new moderator of this post.

As you can see he's got the assignment very well deserved.

Conratulations Tom

Quote:

I used to deer hunt right across the river from Houston, so I know you are thick with coyotes in that part of the state. Lots of ravines and "coulee's" down there.

how close is houston and what direction ???

do you like to hunt yotes more in valleys and hilly areas or flat lands ? arround here we are supposed to have lots of yotes but i havent hunted this area much for anything other than geese and deer just one or two nights on stand so i havent been in the woods much

TANMAN I've hunted with some people that blew a call so bad I was embarassed for them but they still managed to call critters in. Hard to screw up too bad with a rabbit call if everything else is done right they'll come in if in the mood.

Houston is down around rushford and lanesboro along the root river. Basically SE of you about 60 miles. I will hunt coyotes where ever, flat land is hard unless there is cover for them to be in, I like some hills so I can get in with out letting them see me. get a good handle on the calls, and be ready to not move. If you goose hunt and call, you should pick it up pretty quick.