• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Clothing

Seabass77

Hey All,
The discussions in "How bad do I need an aqua view?" reminded my that I need some new boots. Pretty much everyone I talk to says either, LaCrosse Ice Kings, LaCrosse Snow Kings, or Mickey Mouse boots (If you can find them). I just thought I would solicit your opinions as well.

P.S. For clothing I picked up slighty oversized duck gear (bibs and jacket) that was on clearance.
Gamehide - waterproof,warm and it has the shadow grass so I can blend in!

Seabass,
Personally, i don't wear any of the boots you have mentioned. I wear two different boots when on the ice, in my truck on the way to the lake, and for pulling out the portable, drilling holes, etc, i wear a light pair of waterproof insulated "hiking" type boot, all the activity keeps your feet warm, and they will sweat. Then, when i am ready to begin more stationary activity ie. sitting and watching the vexilar, and pulling up fish, I switch to a pair of Sorel Caribou (only rated to -40) the key is keeping your feet dry, and being comfortable, I never have cold feet, I wear a thin pair of polypro liner socks, and then add a thick wool/synthetic sock for insulation, i keep an extra pair of dry socks handy, as well as adding and shedding layers of clothing as necessary. those Icemen and others are so big and bulky, I have tried them, they are terrible if you do alot of walking (no steel shank). A section of closed cell foam under your boots helps alot too.

I highly recommend the Rocky Snow Stalker!
The KIngs etc. are indeed VERY warm, but also very heavy and cumbersome. The Stalker ties high, is light weight and is very warm as well. Exceptional for those who do a little more than drive to a spot or ride to their spot.

Jim W

I use sorel dominators for the really cold stuff and rocky bearclaw 1000 gram thinsulate for the not so cold stuff. I am happy with both, but I tend to be warmblooded. I rarely get real cold.

I've been a LaCross guy for the last 10 years. Wore out my first pair of Icemans and now I'm on my second. Yes, they are a little heavier than other boots, but my feet have never gotten cold, so I guess I can live with the extra weight. Before my first pair of Icemans, I wore the "Mickey Mouse Boots" mentioned above, actually went through 2 pairs of them too, well actually 3 since the first pair was almost wore out when I got em...Thanks Dad!
Anyway, get what feels good on your feet and you wont go wrong with any boots mentioned.
>"////=<

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think Sorel is an option anymore. I think they went out of business last year. I've got a pair of Sorel "somethings" and they're nice boots. I use to wear LaCrosse and found them very adequate. However, they were a bit bulky. Go somewhere with a good selection and buy a pair that you like. Boy that's really going out on a limb, aint it?

Personaly i love Columbia winter clothing. I bought a pair of their boots last winter for a winter fishing and camping trip into the boundary waters canoe area.....the wind chill dropped to around -40 at night and my feet never got cold I love 'em. Not sure what they are called but they are tall coming up to just undermy knees so they worked great for the deeper snow. Fairly light weigh.. i hiked around in the woods with them on for a weekend. and they have lots of tread on them to so you dont fall and make a fool out of yourself. Plus the removable liners are nice....makes it easy to dry out the wet ones and put an extra set in. Fairly reasonably priced to at around $100. Check it out.

I had frozen my feet when I was a kid skating outdoors. My feet have always got cold until I bought a pair of Rockies. I also got some of those poly/wool socks that were mentioned above. My feet have not got cold since. Even in the wind on Devils Lake.
Tully

I have the Lacrosse Ice Kings and I love them for late season bow hunting and early ice angling. My feet have never gotten cold in them. The key, as others have mentioned, is having the polypro socks on as the inner layer. My sorrels now ride around in my truck as emergency gear.

For good quality light weight warm boots, try Steger Mukluks. I have been wearing these mukluks for the past 14 years and love them. Only had to replace once in this 14 year period. I use them when sitting in my deer stand as well as sitting on the ice fishing for walleyes. These boots are also made for walking! Very light weight and extremely warm. Only drawback is that you must keep the soles away from heat and oil products! Also they need to be treated with silicone because they are not waterproof. Although I have never had a problem with wet or cold feet. I fish during the winter very aggressively, drilling holes and not stopping until fish are found. These mukluks feel like light weight slippers but they are as warm as many of the boots on the market today. Wear light weight poly socks for the first layer and add a heavy wool/thermax blend hunting sock to complete this set-up. Contact "Steger Mukluks".

[This message has been edited by jighead (edited 12-24-2001).]

I picked up a new pair of boots last year. I decided on a pair of Rocky Ice Stalkers. The ice stalker are very warm plus when there is no snow on the ice and it is slippery, these boots have built in ice cleats that fold out from the bottom. Very handy. I love these boots but I havent seen them advertised since I bought them at Reeds last Feb. during a perch outing on Winni.