• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone ever heard of this and does it work????

FrontenacPike

Has anyone ever used or heard of anyone that has used a MacCoupler. It is an adaptor that allows you to fill your disposable 1lbs propane tanks from a 20lbs tank. They're main selling points is "why pay $2.00 everytime you need a tank when you can simply refill one for aproximetly .20 cents". Just wondering your guys input before I spend the $24.00 for one.

I don't believe it is illegal to refill the 1 pounders, just to transport them. Anyway, save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a 5 pound cylinder. I got sick of using 1 pounders and having the rest of them leak out after I took them off my lantern. You would be amazed at how long a 5 pounder will run a lantern without needing to be filled.

I've been using a fitting too for five years. Not sure what it is called. It worked fine, each time I can get .85-.9 lb to it (you weighs the can before and after it gets filled). I refill a can twice before throw it away.

What I am shocked over is how spendy the 5, 10, 15 lbs tanks are, WOW blush.gif Most are around $44.99, while you can get the 20 pounders for around $20 at Sams Clubs. I guess they figure convenience should cost an arm and a leg.

I just bought this about a week ago and so far it works great. You have to make sure and put the 1 lbers in the freezer first so they fill all the way though. I had to run all over St. Cloud to find one because every place was sold out of them so they must be a hot item.

If you are using them for a lantern for about the same amount I bought a lantern cover thing (I think it is called a fish brite or something) I bought it from this site a few years back. I naver have to turn past low and get the same amout of light as on high so the one pounder last for a very, very long time. I love this thing. A buddy bought one of the valves to refill them but many of them ended up leaking out. The lantern cover has paid for it self many times over. I think his name was Soderbloom (sp) that sold them.

The biggest thing that I was worried about is a leaky tank once it is refilled. As soon as you take a disposable off, you can hear it leaking. I'm still very undecided weather or not I'm going to pick one of these up. As for finding it, pretty easy just do a search and about 10 different sites come up.

not quite sure what Zamboni is talking about....

You buy a tank and its good for a very long time. 5, 11, 20lb'r whatever. YOu get an exchange at Sam's club for $20, not your own tank with fuel. The point of buying one is so you own it and get it filled as necessary.

I can see the point of trying to save a few bucks, but I've never had a good experience with 1-lb tanks. One person here said to refill twice then throw away. What's the point of that? Buy a 5lb tank and get a hose. It will last longer, can be used on more things and will not leak if used properly.

I have an 11lb tank I get filled once a year. It runs anything I use propane for, summer and winter.

My dad use to fill his own for many years without any problems. In order to get a decent fill the 1 lb tanks need to be cold and the 20 lb filler tank needs to be a warmer temp. He would only get about a 2/3rd fill on each of his 1 lb'ers but all he would use them for was his lantern. Now with the new OPD valves he for some reason isn't able to do this anymore. This is probably one of the reasons the OPD valve is in place.

I have never heard about the transporting issue. Can anyone confirm this?

CA

I don't know if this will work for what you use 1 lb tanks for, but this past year I too was sick of spending so much money on such little gas and I went to Lowe's and found out they make an adapter that connects your 1 lb unit to a 20 lb tank. It works slick and it was only about 15 bucks.

Quote:

I have never heard about the transporting issue. Can anyone confirm this?

The disposable cyliders are classified as "DOT 39".

"Federal law forbids transportation if refilled-penalty up to $500,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124)."

I have filled 1 lbs for years. had some bad experience, learned to throw away after 2-3 fills. got to thinking, we spend 500 on shack,400 on vex, 100's if not thousands on tackle and rods, yet wont spend 40 on a tank that could save your life.if you really look at the cost of fuel, not too many fills of the 11 lbs compared to the cost 1 lbs and its paid for. ive had too many refilled 1 lbs start leaking for no reason. also, how do you keep the 1 lbs from plugging your heater with the dirt collected in the end of the 1 lbs? just my thoughts for the day!

1lb. tank filling for one thing is never safe. Those tanks are very unpredictable and can release presure and fluid if filled to full. I have one time release and spew fluid all over in my fish house and I happen to have a candle lit and the propane ignited, not a pretty site and the damage was significant.

After that I just don't even purchase them for any purposes. They are handy when used the right way but like somebody before me stated when done with it where does it go...the land fill and guess how long that takes "mother-earth" to take care of are garbage. Just my .02 and don't ever want to see anybody else get hurt over penny pinching thats all.

mr confused.gif

I used the refilled 1 lb with my Buddy heater. I just don’t want to carry another piece of equipment in my portable. Doesn’t matter it is 5, 11, or 20 lb tank.

PJ4 I think you said it best, I've spent $400 for my shack, $200 for my Cam, who knows how much on tackle and rods. It just don't make any sens to try and save a buck when it comes to safety. Money wasn't the reason I wanted to find out about the MacCouplers....lightweight. When it comes to some of the spots that I drag my shack, through the woods, up hills every pound matters. I think I'm going to end up just going with a 5 or 11 lbs tank. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Ok I'll chime in with my 2 cents. I have a 11lb tank and love it, can run a buddy heater and LP lantern off it with a splitter and 2 hoses. I buy a couple 1lb'rs every year (end of season they're cheaper) I use them only when on foot or for back-up when the 11lb'r runs out. The full 11lb tank weighs 26lbs I'd agree that is substantial, but my atv doesn't seem to notice grin.gif I think if you plan your trips you can choose the right tank to use and not put yourself or others in jepardy with a potential leaking bomb. I can't imagine the devastation if you were in an accident on the way to fish and a 1 lb bomb went off in your vehicle. In the strictest risk vs reward it's just not worth it.