• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Tie Downs???

I used a twist in coat hook that I borrowed from my brother in law on Saturday for my Otter. I also threw a little gravel udner the tub, and that helped a lot, probably more than the coat hook did.

Some guys will take 2 x 2 about 15 inches long and drill a hole through the middle of it. They will thread a rope through the hole, and tie a knot. Put the 2 x 2 down a hole outside the shelter,pull it tight against the bottom of the ice and then tie it snugly to your tub.

I was looking at some ice screws in a mountain climbing gear catalog that looked like they would be the cat's meow. They were about 10 inches long, and looked like they would be very strong and secure.

Frabill and Fish Trap both make anchors for portables. I don't know how well either works but would appreciate some input if some knows, since I am also in the market for some type of anchor system.
mj

I use the ol' coffee can o' concrete anchor. Auger a hole in but not through the ice, toss the cof-can-con into the hole, and fish on. Doesn't weigh much, and not as much of a p.i.t.a. as puttin' screws in the ice.

JohnO
I was out this weekend and with 5" of ice, I don't think the coffee can method would of worked to well. I used Ye Old 2x2 tied to a rope method where you T-it-off through a hole. Works OK, just looking for an alternative.
mj

So, does ye ol T'd stick go in yer hole yer fishin in? or out side?, I've got a couple suitcase type shacks, 5x7 & 7x8, and was thinking of 2 pc, of 3/8 rod bent to resemble an L, except that you would bend it a little further than 90 deg. weld a washer on the top end and attach a rope between the 2, one down ea. hole, as long as it stayed tight to a hole side, I think the prob of tangleing while landing a fish would be minimal, do ya think it would work??

Duffman the anchor screws that you have sounds like the ones made by Clam Corp/USL Products. I just bought a set from thornebros (11.95 for 2) but no ice yet so havent had a chance to try them. They are 6" long self tapping...GB

minneman
I think Ye Old 2x2 is easier than what you suggested. Just take a 2x2 that is a little longer than an auger hole, tie a rope to the center of it. Drill a hole outside the shelter on the side the wind is blowing from and put the board down the hole so it T's off under the ice. Tie the other end of the rope to your house. Wallah! Oh, forgot to mention that you have to first move to Canada or maybe Alaska if you plan do any hard water fishing.
mj

Hey, I think the 2x2 sounds like the most cost effective way, and probably just as good as any screw in anchors, probably quicker too. That's what I'm going to go with for my new sled. Good Luck, and bring on the ice.

Rusty

i wouldnt suggest the board anchor system at early ice, not a good idea to have 2 hole sin your fish trap and one behind and two fat guys in between.
Just something to think about. Good luck.

I use some anchor screws, but I'm not sure of the manufacturer. They have an rectangular shape eye that makes them easier to twist into the ice. I used a cordless drill on Saturday for pilot holes and they were much easier to deal with after I did that. Sometimes when you have bad ice it is very difficult to get them started and they will also lift up the ice instead of augering down.

The Ice screws work and held, but are a pain in the butt to go down 4 or 5 inches in the ice, took about 10 min to set up. They are easy to carry and don't weigh a ton, like the coffee cans. What are you suppose to do when your 2x4 freezes in the hole? Use the Ice screws that's why they made them. Only if we had snow.