• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane not flowing in cold

Big Dave2

Question

Does anyone else have a problem with propane flowing lately? I know it has not been THAT cold but I have one of those small ventless heaters in my permanant house and when it is cold it just will not work properly. Last weekend I had trouble with it all weekend. Today I went out there and it worked fine when the sun was out, but as soon as the sun went under and it got colder I had problems again.

It acts as if it were not getting enough LP. It will light ok but when you go to turn the burner on it is a very low flame and the pilot goes to a very low flame also and the thermocouple thinks that the pilot has gone out because the flame is so low it doesnt hit the sensor and the whole thing shuts down. Very frustrating.

Is the orfice on this heater just too small for the thickened LP or something? Any other sugestions?

20 answers to this question

The colder it is, the more/higher pressure/propane level needed. LP is Liquid propane, and must turn into a vapor/gas to burn. That being said, colder equals harder to vaporize.

The other thing I would look at is if you have owned this heater for a while and has run flawlessly in the same situations before, the thermocoupler could be suspect. They are known to go bad once in awhile.

Don't overlook the gas valve. There is a screen located before the oriface, it could be dirty or clogged.

If the tank is sitting on the ice, you will get a lot less fuel out of it. If you brought it into a heated garage and tried it again it would work again. If that is the case (can still keep it outside, recommended) keep it off of the ice and or insulate it from the cold some way.

Those are things I would check.

river-rat4

I have a big 80,000 to 200,000 btu heater that I use in my garage. When I try to run that thing on a 20 pounder, it will go for about 15 minutes and flame out.

Looks like I am having a similar problem. I'll have to go dig out my old 100 lb tank, I guess.

Knowing the BTU of the heater would help with advice on whether or not the 20lb is actually part of the problem.

I agree with the vaporization thing, but that depends on the size of the heater. If the heater is only 10,000 BTU then the tank probably isn't the issue, but if the heater is a lot bigger, it may be the problem.

You can purchase a T connector at any camper sales place, this will allow you to hook two 20 lb,s. together ahead of the regulator. This will give you twice the vapor area in cold weather. Turn on one tank in warmer weather, two in colder. A full tank has less vapor area than a 1/2 full one,hence, it worked last week it was probley 1/2 full, this week, full. I always make it a point to check my tanks just before I leave, there will be a frost line on the outside of the tank at the level of the liquid propane left in the tank. wink.gif

ST, doing good here. I have gotten out a few times, but not as much as I would like.

Have you gotten all of your projects out of the way?

I was in Hibbing on the 20th of December working at Manney Shopper/SPC Publications. Ran down to HermanTown and stayed over at the Econo Lodge. I went right through Twig or Darn close. I tried to call you and to buy you supper and a drink, but the phone # was no good. I had to work out at 2304 Lismore Road at Bruckelmyr Construction on Thursday December 21st.

Oh well, maybe next time...

Take care Frank,

river-rat4

I had a heck of a time in Ely last weekend with the 20#ers on my ice house. The furnace would not relight after it reached the thermostat temp. I ended up getting it going and setting the thermostat to the highest setting. It started out too hot and by the a.m. it was only holding 50 degrees. Once the sun came out it would work fine in the day temps.

Thanks guys, I think I will go get the t-connector and try that. I wanted one anyway so that I don't have to mess with the wrench out in the cold in the middle of a lake.

I don't know the BTUs of this heater right off hand but I know it is the smallest ventless heater you can buy. The one that is marketed especially to fish houses.

I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks.

Its probably not the propane if I remember right it boils at minus 72 below. I suspect that the regulator is sticking. Try a different one. I had a perm on Mille Lacs and used my heater at minus 45 below with no problem. If you have a larger heater as mentioned above. The surface area of a twenty pound tank could be to small but I doubt it. Good luck.

I thought I had it fixed today but no such luck. When I got out to the house the pilot wouldn't even light. I went out and fiddled with the hose that runs the gas into the heater. I thought maybe it had too much of a bend(almost a kink) in it so I straightened out the hose and it lit right up! worked for a couple of hours and then right at about dark it quit again without warning and wouldn't light again.

The regulator is an old one so maybe I will try replacing that first.

Thanks,

Dave

I have the same kind of heater- also a similar problem. I think the problem is the regulator. The flame in mine is burning very low. way lower than normal. I dump hot water on the regulator and it works fine for an hour and then back to same problem. I took regulator off and there was moisture in it. put it back on and it worked for an hour and back to same old problem. am going to put new regulator on tomorrow

Quote:

I have the same kind of heater- also a similar problem. I think the problem is the regulator. The flame in mine is burning very low. way lower than normal. I dump hot water on the regulator and it works fine for an hour and then back to same problem. I took regulator off and there was moisture in it. put it back on and it worked for an hour and back to same old problem. am going to put new regulator on tomorrow

I won't have time to change mine for at least a couple of days so if you change yours tomorrow please post how it worked, if you get a chance.

Thanks,

Dave

I have a different regulator to try in mine and I was all set to put it on tonight and wouldn't you know the darn thing worked perfect the whole time I was out there tonight!

I'll probably put the new one on sometime this weekend.

Quote:

did the new regulator fix the problem???

Yep, I just put it on yesterday(sat) and it works better than ever. When I took the old one off I noticed rust on the end that goes into the tank. I suspect this had something to do with it not working. Just in time for the cold snap too!

Quote:

With smaller tanks,say 30lb and under it is not a bad thing to purge them every couple of years either.c63(pesky moister and such!)

How is purging done? I have never seen this done before.