• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long?

bmc2b

mad.gifI just bought a new AC 650 VTwin (2005 but new) with a 2 year warranty. It has had an oil leak since I bought it and I asked my dealer to fix it as I have only put 40 miles on it. They had to get permission from AC to tear the engine apart, they found that Kawasaki forgot to put one of the piston rings on. The latest is that they are waiting for the parts to come in. Its been 3 weeks now. Do I have any options? I'm getting pretty po'd as I haven't been able to go ice fishing because I pull my heavy portable with it.

I would tell the dealer you want to use a new demo model in the mean time, else, a suitable free unit to use while they are waiting for parts.

IF you only have that many miles on it, going into the store, throwing a mini stink will usually yield you want you want/need.

You may also want to contact AC....maybe they will throw an extra year on teh warranty for your problems....

Guess you really don't know until you ask.

New, 2005 with a two year warranty...three weeks of fishable ice lost....turn it in for a different unit with no exceptions!

If they would like to keep a customer, they would give you a similar unit. If none in stock a discount on the upgraded year/model.

That is unacceptable.

I would be nice, but FIRM.

I hope you get it resolved.

river-rat4

My dealer woundn't do anything for me. The manager acted like I should be extremely grateful that AC would provide the parts and they (GMtn in Baxter) would provide the labor free of charge. That was all expected with my warranty! I've got AC's corporate number and I am going to call them Monday.

Quote:

My dealer woundn't do anything for me. The manager acted like I should be extremely grateful that AC would provide the parts and they (GMtn in Baxter) would provide the labor free of charge. That was all expected with my warranty! I've got AC's corporate number and I am going to call them Monday.

It shouldn't just be expected by you.... it is OWED to you. This isn't just a case of a mis-adjustment or a defective part..... an entire ring is MISSING. This is a serious case of defective workmanship and quality control which is the worst case scenario for any manufacturer and cannot really be argued. If they forgot to install a piston ring who knows what else they "forgot" to do. I'd settle for nothing less than an entire new engine. If you have written documentation they really don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Not to pick on bmc2b, but this is what you can expect from buying an ATV from a place such as Gander Mtn. Gander is a decent store, but as far as being an ATV dealer and repair center......they have a mechanic on duty it sounds like but as far as selling lots of product and having a relationship with the manufacturer, these guys aren't really in a position to offer you anything like a dealer and motorsports showroom might. They don't really have a showroom or large inventory to speak of so offering you another model or loaner isn't really in their ability.

Its kind of the risk you take buying any large purchase from a big box store. It would be like Walmart getting into the auto sales business. Keep 8 or 10 models at the store, etc. Walmart does do repair work but even that is dangerous questionable sometimes.

I wish you the best of luck with this. I definately agree that you are owed more than just the repair. Gander Mtn better believe that you DESERVE free parts and labor for a manufacturer defect. You should call the AC corporate office.

Has Gander begun your warrenty work yet? I would see if you could have another dealer perform the work....maybe you would feel more comfortable having someone else do the work for you.

For the price GM get for their cats I would think they would have a loaner available. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would have such a high price and bad service. Only thing I can figure is they want to stick a few people here and there instead of being a serious dealer.

No offense intended to those that have bought from GM.