• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I getting a fever

Dave

Well, I pulled the FL-8 out of the boat yesterday and tucked it in my blue bag. It's all set for the hard water season. Boy, the thoughts of getting the Otter sled out to check it over really started to sound good. But, I haven't even went hunting yet! Planning on storing the boat tomorrow but the weather's sooooo nice. Man, there's just not enough time in each "season".

Blackjack, to tell you the truth, I haven't used the FL-8 that much in da boat. I mainly use my Bottom Line. The FL-8 transducer is mounted on my trolling motor incase some else wants to watch their depth when they're sitting up front. I hang out in the back of the boat and watch my Bottom Line since my MinnKota Autopilot is a wireless remote control.

For about five days now I thought I had lost it. Looked high and low but could not find my Fish Trap II. Even accused the wife of tossing it out. Found it today, I forgot, I had put it in storage with the sleds. Now I have got the fever... wink.gif

This may seem odd, but I've been using my FL-8 alot on Calhoun in the last three weeks for crappies. I don't have a boat transducer for my FL-8, so I just took off the floater and threw it over the side. I did this after my Eagle's transducer went out. I just wanted the depth,but I imediately started seeing those thick red suspened red lines, and decided to move the transducer to the front of the boat where the end of the rod was. I dropped it down 5" and Bam! crappie. Lots of them. It's kinda nice to see those fish going after your jig agian. Just make sure you anchor when you find them or you jig will float away from the transducer.

P.S. There schooling together more and more every time I go, winter must be on it's way!

Outsider, I was just talking to someone today about when we're making the jaunt up to Red Lake. Looking forward to it already, but I've still got a lot of ducks, pheasants, and deer to chase before I get up there!!!

Blackjack-
I used to have my FL-8 installed on my old boat and I loved it! It was far more accurate than that old eagle LCD....I swear that Eagle constantly lied to me!
I bought a tranducer for the FL-8 that mounts to the boat, its quite large. I haven't installed it in my current boat, but I think I will next spring.

All, I sure got the fever bad, this last snap of cool weather has got found me digging in the basement, going over all the gear, already!
I have been using my FL-8 in my canoe all summer, i just stick in to the bottom and shoot right thru the hull, get a double echo, but it works great.

Ripper,
I got very accurate readings in as little as two feet of water, accounting for the draft of canoe of course. I use an old town canoe, with the poly link hull construction, which is two thin layers of high density polyethylene sandwiching a layer of foam. i rigged up a little piece of foam with a hole large enough for the ice ducer to fit in, and glued this to the bottom of the canoe, then i just slop a little water in that hole and put the ducer in. works great and i don't worry about the ducer cord getting tangled with fishing line or the anchor.