• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing public pond tomorrow, any pointers

MNMAV93

hi everyone, i am going to be fishing a pond on a local golf course tomorrow and it will be my first time out fishing without my dad, who usually helps me. i will be fishing for blue gills and crappie. what would you guys suggest using and what presentation should i use. this pond has low to medium pressure, more towards low. any advice would be helpful

nip

Try to get ahold of Matt Johnson or read some of his past articles. He's pretty much the panfsih guru. But if ya can't this is what i would try.

Go with small jigs like Ratso's, Shrimpo's, Rat Finkee's, etc... Tip them with a waxie, Euro Larvae, or Gulp Maggots. Do you have a flasher, if so look for suspended fish, in the deeper basins. If not find a good weedline and it should produce some panfish for ya. Start fishin a foot or so off bottom, up to half way in the water column. The more active fish will generally be towards the top of the school.

Good luck, be safe and tell us how you do.

Nip...first, get there early and pick a spot away from the others. Drill maybe 5 holes in a row, then cut a spear hole in the middle, then drill 5 more holes, equally spaced.

Move all your gear off to one side. On the end hole of one side, lower down some of that vegetation on a string, but and this is important...instead of using the usual type of anchor, wire some plastic explosives to the bottom of the sting and attach to the remote detonator....do the same to the other end. Do ya see where I'm going with this?

Get WAAAAY back and set off the charges with your remote device. You will then be able to see in a hurry what kind of fish there are and then you can work on the presentation! Capeche? I hope I have been of some help? The extra holes you might ask? Thats just to see if the auger works....the fish should come flying out of the spear hole. You might want to check and see if this is legal? grin.gif

grin.gif Holler " FOR" , I don't wanna get hit.

Drop a minnow on a hook down one hole, and a waxie on another down another hole, fish for a while and if no luck try a different spot. There is no magic on a pond, find the fish and give them something they want and have fun. Most ponds have little to no structure to relate to so try the middle or deepest water first.

hey guys thanks for all the info. i just got back in and was having trouble finding any water more than 5 foot deep so i walked around the edge of the pond to the other end where there was 15 fow and decided to put the vex in and try out a jigging spoon that came on the used rod i had recently purchased. i put it down to about 1 foot off the bottom and had one fish check it out but didnt bite then right after that i saw a fish at 10 fow and raised it up to about 13, the fish saw it, hit it and i ended up catching it. this was my first fish ever caught through the ice for me grin.gif it was a 12'' large mouth bass. then i went and took my vex over to my little brothers hole and he ended up catching a blue gill. then i went over to my hole that i had caught the bass out of and put a marmooska jig on with a waxie and caught a real small blue gill. then my little brother took that pole and i put a pink #8 ratso on and ended up catching 4 more blue gills. and then the bite slowed down and we headed back home. i hope to get out tomorrow even though we are going to have a snow storm hit, it is just to fun to waste tomorrow sitting around the house. laugh.gif i think that i may end up going with my friend and his dad in their ice shack. but once again thanks for all the good info. it really helped.