• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on catching Walleyes

Alex Walleye Fan

I have been out on this lake about 6 times this year and I have been successful catching Walleyes in the 11" - 14" inch range from 18 - 22 feet of water primarily between 3PM and 6 PM. I have used jigs and fat heads/shiners, spoons tipped with minniow head. What is the key to catching bigger Walleyes on the lake? Fish deeper? Fish early morning or later evening? I noticed that it is a clear lake as I can see my bait in abut 18 feet of water. Any pointers on what type of bait/jig to use?

It could be that the lake you are fishing doenst have walleye much larger than what you are catching. Or you may be fishing an area that typically draws the size fish you are catching because of forage and such. Try other areas of the lake? Try larger baits?

I aggree with Dietz. It wouldn't be bad to try for the second night bite. usually an hour after the first bite, a second bite may occur which is usually slower, but typically it will be bigger fish in my experience. This is with lakes with natural reproduction. Lakes that require stocking, its usually that you are going to find one or two different year classes and the big walleyes are going to be hard to find.