• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!

mrcarp

HI I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN FISHING HOW LONG SHOULD I STAY IN 1 AREA. WHEN I READ MAGAZINES AND BOOKS THEY SAY TO MOVE EVERY 10 TO 15 MINUTES. I DONT HAVE A 4 WHEELER SO I CANT DO A WHOLE LAKE IN A DAY. SHOULD I MOVE TO A NEW AREA AFTER 10 HOLES OR SO I'M NEW TO THIS AND JUST WANT TO BETTER MY CHANCES THAN SITTING THERE LIKE A BUMP ON A LOG THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

I feel your pain. I have no wheeler and no flasher so its tough to know how long to work one area.

I recently bought a cheap underwater camera so I can use that to see if fish are in the area before even wetting a line. But if you don't have that tool at your disposal you'll have to do it the old fashinoed way.

What I do when I am on foot and not able to cover a large area is do a little homework before my trip out. I figure out what I am targeting and pick areas that I think or know hold those fish. I will pick an area that has as many options as possible in a small area so that if the fish are relating to a different structure I can try all of them.

But in general pick an area that you think holds fish and start drilling. Try to set up in a logical pattern, either along a weed edge with holes right along it, some in the weeds, and some just off the weeds. Or along a break, some shallow some deeper and some in between. Start in the area where you think the fish will most likely be and work that area first, if you don't get any nibbles in 10-15 minutes move to another hole that is already drilled, either move into the weeds, or away from the weeds or up or down the break. Just keep hole hoping until you start seeing/feeling some activity down there. Once you got them placed in relation to the structure you are set.

I just find it easier to drill the holes ahead of time so that it makes moving along the structure easier.

Now if you fished all the areas along the structure and still no fish, thats when a move to another spot entirely is in order. This is where you might be limited without a wheeler when the ice isn't driveable. I know I get frustrated by that alot. When I walk out I am much more likely to work one area really hard and if it doesn't pay off its usually quit'n time.

I generally dont stay longer than 2 mins in a hole if its inactive.. sometimes even less...But a move doesnt always have to be a far move.. There are areas where you can try different depths or bottom contents and have only moved 15 feet. Or, you can make the big move to another piece of cover altogether. If you are limited because of the lack of a 4wheeler... try choosing areas that has mulitiple areas to fish that are not all that far apart. OR try smaller lakes?

I always feel that staying mobile is very important.

I have found that keeping mobile is your number on concern while out there. I tend to hole hop constantly when I am fishing crappies. Drilling your holes ahead of time on a particular structure is very helpful as well.

You will be amazed how long a school of fish will work in an area and by just moving a few feet it can keep you on fish. Deitz is right on as far as not sitting at a hole very long. Within the first couple of minutes you should be able to tell if there is anything down there. More often than not you will get those agressive feeders on the first drop. Keep hole hopping and don't be afraid to check the holes out numerous times while you are out there. It could be a dead hole one minute, and the next time visiting it you could be on fish.

CA

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ITS GREATLY APPRECIATED.COUPLE OF QUESTIONS DO I KEEP HOLE HOPPING AT NIGHT. AND I TAKE IT I SHOULD JUST KEEP MOVING UNTIL I FIND THE FISH. WILL I LOOK LIKE A (Contact Us Please) DRILLING ALL THESE HOLES OR WILL I MAYBE GET BETTER AT FISHING. THANKS

I have to admit, I dont do as much hole hopping at night. I feel some fish(crappies and walleye) can be a tad more active at night and move around more. Hence running into you more often. And its usually colder and harder to see at night. Hence I do less hole hopping.