• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard question

Sutty

Question

Anybody have a Crestliner 1850 fishhawk out there? I bought one last night on the Crystal Pierz Crestliner auction and I need to buy an engine for it. It max's out at 150 horse but I am wondering what the differance besides cost would be in milage and speed between say a 115 and a 150. My current boat is a 16 foot fishhawk with a 40 horse that I might get 30 mph out of if the wind is just right.. so if I am getting mid 40's It will seem like flying to me. I just do not want to under power it either.

17 answers to this question

That boat is goign to have better performance with a 150 opti then any other motor. The opti is a motor that has came a long with with performance and gas milage. Yes its still a two stroke, but your going to get alot more power, hole shot, and top speed with the 150 opti.

I wouldn't necessarily consider opti to be the best motor since much of the performance of the boat is based upon having the set-up correct in terms of prop pitch, prop type, mounting height, etc.

What I will agree on, though, is that the higher HP motor you go with, the better the boat will be to deal with in. It will be easier for a larger HP motor to get your boat on plane, and with a heavy load, it will not lose as much performance.

I am also one of the few remaining 2 stroke guys, and all I can say about what motor to purchase is look at the engine displacement in the HP range you are considering. the larger displacement engines will be stronger overall and have a bit more low end torque to get you going.

Good luck with what you choose. Pretty hard to go wrong with most outboards out there now, but if you go 2 stroke, I would consider not only motor efficiency. A simpler styled engine has less items that can go wrong with it. Its just something to think about and keep in mind.

Steve

Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily consider opti to be the best motor since much of the performance of the boat is based upon having the set-up correct in terms of prop pitch, prop type, mounting height, etc.

Crestliners are pre rigged with Merc Motors

I have a 2003 1850 Fish Hawk with a Suzuki DF140 4-stroke. Top end is around 44 mph. It's a great running motor and I haven't experienced one problem. If I was buying today, I would probably choose the Suzuki DF150 4 stroke or the Yamaha 150 4 stroke.

Sutty, I purchased an 18' Serenity from Crystal/Pierz a couple of years ago. At that time it came with a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I Like the motor and if I had it to do over I would go with the Yamaha. Just my 02 worth but I would go with the 150 vs the 115. It somtimes is nice to have the extra speed etc. when that thunder storm is chasing you or you have a few extra pounds in the boat. Good luck on whatever you decide. I have not to this date had any problems with the motor at all. Later Darrell.

That's about the same size as my Lund Fisherman 1800. I run a Johnson 140 4 stroke (Suzuki) and wouldn't want to go with any less power. I would probably go with a 135-150hp motor that mates with the rigging on the boat.

If you go with an Opti Max I would think either a 135 or a 150 would power that boat very well. 115 may start to be a little small for an 18 ft boat. The fuel economy may not be any better either. That motor would have to work harder than a 135 or 150 to push that boat at comparable speeds.

I am a Yammy guy but from what I have read in Bass and Walleye Boats magazine the Opti Max usually out performs all other outboards (2- and 4-stroke) if not in every category most categories. In the articles I have read they have had better holeshot, top-end and/or better fuel economy than any other motors. At crusing speeds the Opti has been quieter too.

It's been my experience to get the most motor the boat can handle. My old boat was rated for a 125, and I got a 90, with the intention of upgrading some day if I didn't like the performance. Well, I didn't like the performance, but the cost of upgrading was more than I cared to spend. I bought a new Lund 1700 fisherman instead, with a Yami 150 HPDI on it, and absolutely love it!!