• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimming Senko

metrojoe

Hiya -

Think the came out too late in the season to see much use up here...

I'm pretty interested in trying them out next summer. I think they'll be a great smallmouth bait as a jigworm plastic. 4-5" jigworms are great minnow immitators. The boot tail will sort of slow them down a little more than a sickle tail will I think. Might be a great 'strolling' bait for suspended smallies.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

What's a "gycb made plastic"?

I personally don't buy the Yamamoto brand of stickbaits. I like the Exude Comidas on a jighead. I would like them better Texas rigged if they provided a hook pocket to get the hook started through. Nevertheless, the Comidas are by far the most durable of all the brands I've tried. And, I do think the Exude formula makes a difference.

I think there are some awfully good options out there for stickbaits. I was a resistor for a long time, but they have certainly become one of my favored plastics. They are not the only plastic I use. You're missing out some fish if you're only fishing a stickbait.

Yes Ike I make my own.... believe me I really haven't saved any money making my own... probably still way down when you figure everything in.... but its an addiction, my one and only goal this year is to not use any commercially produced lure (except Crankbaits) and to catch a 22+" Smallie and Largie on my own baits, I caught 20"ers last year on my own baits (the largie came in Early November) So I just squeeked by! The smallie came in about the first 3 hours of opener grin.gif

I did buy a few 50 packs from hsolist.. they were VERY poor.. they were very stiff and tough.. although they did last FOREVER... they didn't catch nearly the amount of fish as the Senko!

They were poor, too, compared to Stickos (Bass Pro Shops version) and Comida's (Mister Twisters version)..

I have to say there is a BIG difference between Senkos and rip offs.. and even though Senkos are really better... I STILL go with the (better) rip offs since I can't afford the Senkos.. but when I do use my limited supply.. they are REALLY good... very soft and lifelike.. something about them... but they don't last nearly as long as the rip offs.. almost one Senko per bass!... there is a trade off for the the rip offs.. fewer fish for longer lasting bait... and this post rhymed as well to boot! Don't rip off my post off!

Anyway.. I will certainly try the new Swimming Senko.. cheaper than a new boat anyway.. but will mostly stick with Mister Twister Comida's. They seem to be the best VALUE based on dollar per bass from my experience.

There are lots of bad ripoffs Sly, I spent almost 2 years and gallons of plastic and at least 30 different concoctions of plastic to get mine the way I like, they are soft and a bit heavier than the senko, there also a bit bigger then the 5" senko, so I think Im close, but they do last more than one fish, as long as it doesn't ride up the line and get shaken off and sink into the abyss mad.gif (man I hate when that happens) I also have the freedom to pour whatever I like, I pour some harder for skipping docks and some that sink slower for whatever reason confused.gifgrin.gif, but actually the ones Im starting to like the best have no salt which gives the bait better color, allowing light to pass through and I either split shot em or fish em on a jighead.... the funny thing is I go through all this and really only fish plastics about 10% of the time confused.gif

Does anybody else see the idea of a "swimming senko" as defeating the purpose of why senkos are productive. In my opinion, the senko(or even the cheap knockoff versions) get bit because of a lack of action. I'm not saying swimming senkos won't catch fish. They would get used in different situations than a true senko. Perhaps when the fish are a bit more active and deadsticking a plain senko isn't the most efficient way to catch 'em.