• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey all-

My folks recently bought a place on Nelson, and being a fairly avid icefisherman I have been dieing to make it over there this winter and try and find some fish. Nelsons a pretty good sized lake so anyone that could point me in the right direction would be on my list for a round of beers on me sometime. Now.... Im not dumb, I wouldnt ask you to give up your honey hole, just looking for some suggestions as to where I might run into some gills, a crappie or two, maybe a northern, and on a good day a wally. Really interested in the panfish tho. Thanks For the help guys! grin.gif

I've never ice fished up there, but i did spend a week there last July. I mostly fished for bass, catching and releasing at least 10 14"+ fish every night before dark on topwaters. I caught quite a few crappies, gills, and perch almost anywhere I tried. Except I'm a little skeptical of Crappie Bay. I'm not quite sure how it got that name because that was probably one of the least productive crappie spots I tried. There is a rocky point that juts out under the water on the north side of Crappie bay that holds a few walleye, but we also pulled a few northern from that point as well. There is a river channel that runs along the bank opposite from Crappie bay that a lot of guys were jigging for walleye and crappie with decent luck. Also there are a couple small grassy islands out in front of the public boat landing that usually hold all kinds of fish. And I lost a few topwaters all along the shoreline that the public boat landing is on to northern as well. There is another small bay down towards the river inlet that was pretty productive for northern too. I'm not sure if things will be the same through the ice but I figured you would rather have a little advice than none at all. Good Luck!!

I always did well in Bass Bay where the Togatic River makes it's way into the lake. I just tried for walleyes there though. Every now and then we would get a northern. It's shallow in the bay but the walleyes always came in there to grab some baitfish. Be carefull there are some springs located along the shore in that area.