• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils first impressions....

aczr2k

So I broke down and purchased a Nilsmaster 8". It sure is light compared to the others I'm used to. The blade is defintely sharp and unlike no others. Mixed up some Amsoil Sabre and headed to the lake to drill some holes. It really cuts but it seems like it could use more power. You almost have to hold it up to keep the bite less agressive to keep the auger turning. Is this normal? I was told it will take a few holes to "loosen up"? What was everybody else's experience? I think if it powers up it will be great auger, but for now it's kinda a pain. I did drill about 25-30 holes through 10-15" of ice. Hopefully I made the right decision. Coming from a 3HP 10" Jiffy where you can't hardly stop the auger this is quite different. The motor sure runs good, dumped in the gas, primed it and about 5 pulls it was running perfect. That did really impress me. Just looking for some reassurance here, buyers remorse always gets the best of me. wink.gif Thanks!

The best thing to do with your new Nils is run a half tank or more of your gas mix through it and then go out and cut some holes. Thats what we have been doing with the new ones we break in and believe me after that 1st tank yours will howl and cut way better than now. After about the 5th full tank I thought I had hit the max for power/speed with my Nils. I also run Amsoil Sabre in mine too. I love it.

On Red Lake this past COLD weekend we had 3 augers and my Nils was the only one that would start and keep started long enough to cut holes. Fresh gas/Sabre and having a NIls were the key Im sure.

So dont worry keep using your Nils and it will get much better. Oh and dont ever press down while cutting with your Nils! Let the blades do the work and after that 1st tank is burned up Im sure you will be cutting ice like no other you have fished with.

Please e-mail me after your 1st tank and let me know what you think.

Northlander is correct, you do need to break the motor in. With new motors things are a little tight and rings are not seated, so you don't get full compression. When they switched to the centerpoint bit it made it more noticable since that is a more agressive cutting head.

After a couple tanks, you will be fine. 4 things I tell people....1) The blades are SHARP. 2) Apply almost no down pressure whne it's cutting. 3) Full throttle ALL THE WAY through the hole. 4) Don't bang the blades on the ice.

Thanks guys, you know how it is after you just dropped 5 big ones and things aren't like you expected it. I'll drill holes all weekend just to get it limbered up, maybe I'll even have time to drop in a line or two. laugh.gif

I have intentionally stayed away from people that own these augers. I have a 7 year old auger that runs fine; I really don't need another one. However, I am a sucker for the next best thing.

Unfortunately, I went out with Deitz a couple weekends ago and watched him cut with his. I don't think he could tell, but I was biting through my lip wathcing him drill holes. That thing is better than the auger I have now, way better. I even refused to use it when he offered knowing that I would be trying to talk the wife into approving that expenditure. My advice, if you don't want one stay away from them.

I think you did the right thing by buying one, aczr2k. Please stay the heltch away from me.

Well aczr2k I bought a new Nils as well and just ran a full tank of gas with the opti2 mix before I even hit the ice with it . Now im working on my first tank using amsoil and the Nils runs like a champ on it too . My first impression is that it's a great starter and she sure chews through the ice like a p!ssed off badger and you have to hang onto her or she'll try and pull you down through the hole . shocked.gif

The only thing I'm finding at the moment that takes a bit of getting used to is the height of the auger and the grip . Another thing is when I have mitts on with the narrow handles its harder to let off on the throttle but all in all its a fun auger to pound holes with .

I think you will find as has been mentioned that once you get that first tank through her you won't be pulling up to keep her running because I never had that kind of problem but likely because she's had a tankful before ever hitting the ice .I'm hoping our ice goes to the 3 ft mark to really see her dig as I think she likes that digging and the thicker the better or so it seems . grin.gif

TD

I did mix it between 40-50:1. Little leary on the 100:1 for break-in. I already have an idea for a custom billet shorty throttle lever. I will run out this tank with out drilling anymore holes before the weekend. As usual you guys have the answers. Thanks!

Mine seems to bog a little but now that I've run a tank through it it's getting better. Sometimes it bogs on the first hole and then warms up and drills like crazy. There's a lot of slop where the auger connects to the power head and some grease seeping out around the shaft. Is that normal?

I ran a full tank thru before I took it out on the ice. Now I have to be careful to have the blades above the ice when I start it or I'll get pulled into the hole. My auger connection was a little sloppy but once fired up not an issue. I have had several guys come over just to try it out after they watched me drill a bunch of holes with no effort. Best auger out there.

I too am the proud owner of a new Nils. I am also going through the "break in blues" I am likely a little to cautious with it due to its value. My first tank of mix was 24:1 (from my jiffy) I idled about 10 minute then varied the speed for about another 10-15. I then started drilling holes. I must admit it was prone to bogging or stalling. I now am on my 2nd tank at 50:1 and can see a huge improvement. I do have to hold up on it slightly to keep it from stalling. I have 1/4 tank left then I'm moving on to 100:1 amsoil. All in all it's a great auger and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I especially like that it doesn't have to be upright to start. This is really handy for a guy with a bum shoulder. My only complaint is you have to be real careful around the business end, the sucker will bite you if your not careful. ALWAYS use gloves to put on guard, I had a nice little infection from getting bit.

I still don't know if buying a new nils was a positive experience for me. My first flight arrived all dented up. Nilsmaster made me send some digital pictures to them and then sent me an another auger flight. My second one is nearly as dented up as the first! Almost like it was returned and then repainted. Every time I drill I take more paint off the auger (but it has 2 coats). It is very fast and light, but I hate to spend a higher price on an auger and have it look bad right away. If I was going to buy another one I would pick it up at the ice show and avoid a $35 on shipping for a dented auger. Does anyone have any cold starting tips? When i choke it all the way it never starts. I prime it 3 times put it on half choke and pull it about 4 - 6 times before it sputters. Then I take off the choke and it starts up.

Running a ritch mixture in the auger to start really does nothing except make the auger run poorly. You are better off running the Amsoil Saber at 80:1 or 100:1 right from the start.

For cold starts I do one pull full choke then move it to half and it usually starts in 1-2 pulls.

For the wobble, make sure the bold is seated against the flat on the auger shaft. There will still be a little wobble, but you can take that out by adding some shim stock if you want. The wobble does not effect it's ability to cut.

Matt....Try here for your local Tanaka service center... Tanaka Service

I have to agree with Bob D here as far as the mixture . I let mine rip at 80-100 to 1 ratio right off the bat and out of the box . Man it does take time to run the Nils out of gas and my neighbours likely growled at times but I did it in the summer when mowers and trimmers are always running . Amsoil and Opti2 both warranty you rig if it fails at that ratio and it's found to be caused by their product .

I was using the primer on mine earlier but now just full choke and when she pops after two or three pulls I take choke off and away she goes . I'm not even needing warm up times really and absolutely no bogging down issues .

I also originally had a damaged screw cutting head and I just contacted J.P. from Nils and sent him pics and next day it was picked up in the box by FED-X and 4 days later I recieved a new one undamaged from Nils U.S.A. . Taking and sending the pics just allows Nils to be reimbursed by the contracted transporter because it is insured and makes it easier for Nils to file a claim on your behalf . Mine was damaged either by the transporter or customs I believe as no way a company would ship it in that condition because it's just more headache and paperwork they will have to address in the long run .

I liked the customer service I received from J.P. from Nilsmaster because the outcome was good and he even went the extra mile for me too make it right because at the time I was away and FED X policy says a claim must be filed within 10 days of recieving product if it is damaged and mine wasn't filed in that period but he got the job done and I got my Nils replacement.

I still even have my pics of damage to the box and screw part of auger plus the handle for handbombing was missing as the box even had a hole in it yet the tanaka powerhead arrived in good shape because it was separate from the drill.

So far I'm happy . wink.gifgrin.gif

TD

I'm thinking since they have so many issues with dented augers that they should pack them so they don't have to file a claim with every other auger they send out, but that is just me. Do you guys buy a spare blade for your nils in case it gets dull? and how long have you run yours before it needs to be replaced? Anyone run an Otter auger protector on their Nils? I think this would be easier than trying to use the blade cover that comes with the auger, if the protector fits properly over the cutting point.

I get about 2 seasons out of a blade when I'm fishing a lot. This is my forth season with the auger and my second blade (changed at the beginning of last season). I'll probably get 3 years out of this one due to the lack of ice this year and last.

I don't know about the Otter cover, but I do know the cover that comes with it is a pain.

I too was really disapointed in my nils first time out. I had ran it for a total of 4 -5 minutes before first use. crazy.gif Called JP and he told me about the break-in. I actually ran three full tanks with approx. 80-1 amsoil in my back yard clamped to a saw horse. It took several hours. 2nd time out, WOW!!! Hangon or you will end up in the hole. grin.gif It cuts through 3 feet of ice in 10 to 20 seconds. I really like how light this thing feels. Other options are that it converts to a hand auger when needed, and no extensions needed.

Service has been really good. My auger fell out of the trailer going across the lake and bent the chute. Didn't hurt the head or anything else. JP had a new chute out to me in 3 days.

Keeping the cutting blades sharp is the key, course that's with any auger. Let the blades do the work.

The only downside that I find with this auger is re-opening

existing holes. Doesn't do it very well. Buy one. It will be the last auger you will need to buy... smile.gif

I must agree here too . The blade cover is a bit of a pain but I find most are . I've been wondering how those snap covers would work with the Nils or has anyone tried one yet .? I don't want to shell out 25 bucks to find out it doesn't fit and returning one from here is out of the question .

TD

Quote:

I must agree here too . The blade cover is a bit of a pain but I find most are . I've been wondering how those snap covers would work with the Nils or has anyone tried one yet .? I don't want to shell out 25 bucks to find out it doesn't fit and returning one from here is out of the question .

TD

Are you talking about the easy snap cover. I doubt they will work. They are made more for Jiffy's though. Maybe they will work I will have to check it out after I get my Nils.

Quote:

Quote:

TD

Are you talking about the easy snap cover. I doubt they will work. They are made more for Jiffy's though. Maybe they will work I will have to check it out after I get my Nils.

Yes I believe thats the one I've been thinking about iffwalleyes . I'm going to get one for my Jiffy 10 inch regardless as I believe they now came out with a 10 inch but would sure appreciate knowing if they work with the 8 inch Nils as well so I can order both at the same time . It would sure make life easier if it did work on the Nils .

TD