• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speedometer?

Sergeant Slabber

I 2nd mudslinger64's comment. we had a problem last year with a speedo and soon after the drive bearing was smoked. if you ride it, feel up under the drive axle and if its hot or even warm you need to get your bearing looked at.

I would disconnect the speedo cable from the speedometer, then disconnect the cable into the drive housing below the secondary clutch. Turn the speedo cable with your hand, if it turns on the other end, your cable is not broken.

I broke a speedo key last year because the drive bearing failed. I would not drive the sled at all if your bearing is toast, it can cause more issues.

Tip the snowmobile on it's side and look at the drive axle (that turns the track) and the bearing is inside a housing on the inside of the tunnel. It will be on the clutch side. You can usually tell if the bearing is bad as there should be some play in the axle, and maybe other signs of strange wear, grease, etc...

These bearing fail all the time in Cats, about every 2-3,000 miles on average in that vintage.

It's not the most enjoyable job replacing that bearing alone.

I just replaced my driveshaft bearings last night. I've read that 99 times out of 100, the speedometer quitting means your driveshaft bearing is going bad and I would NOT ride it as chuckn said. Instead of just having to replace a $20 bearing you may be looking at hundreds of dollars for a new driveshaft, chaincase, etc. I personally didn't think it was all that difficult to replace and I'd consider myself just an average do-it-yourselfer.

Yeah, I pulled the cable off last weekend and it turns just fine so it must be the bearing. I couldn't resist going for a short ride though smile.gif I guess I better get it replaced. I've never done it before since this is my first sled. Do you think I can handle it?!