• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surge Trophy Catfishing Rods

hanson

I've been hearing about these rods for awhile now and think I'm going to be ordering one up soon.

They come in 4 versions:

7'-10" Heavy Casting (Heavy is rated for 20-50lb line & 3-12oz lure weight)

7'-10" Medium Heavy Casting (MH is rated for 15-40lb line & 2-8oz lure weight)

7'-10" Heavy Spinning

7'-10" Medium Heavy Spinning

Retail price $69.99

Cork Handles, 11 solid stainless steel guides, and white E-Glass rod blanks with black wraps. Only problem if there is one is they are 1 piece rods. An 8' 1 piece rod can be a tad cumbersome.

From what I understand, these rods have loads of backbone with sensitive tips.

Sounds like music to my ears. smile.gif

Sounds pretty good but the one piece thing sucks. My bait casting rod is a 7'6 one piece and its not fun to lug around that thing if you you're a shore fisherman. I am totally sold on Ugly Stik Tiger rods so I might pick up their 7ft 2pce line: 10-50lbs lure: 1/2-6 medium action castng rod.

Hey Rob-

I've got two of the Tiger rods (Medium) you are looking at. My opinion is the action is not quite right for big flats. I've caught 20lb Channel Cats on those rods and they loaded the rod all the way up. Now the MH rod is a lot better stick IMO.

I'd be more than happy to let you take a look at them before you drop some $$$.

I have that same rod(spinning version) I was talking about I used for half of last season and really liked it. Although the largest fish I caught with it was 33lbs but that only loaded the top half of the rod and never did it seem to run out of back bone. If you wanna get rid of one of those Tigers let me know. grin.gif I just wish they were a foot longer.

You know you aren't playing fair. We have 4 more months to wait for our kitties up here and U are talking about rods. Dark 30, U know how I like rods and keep trying new ones. I would love or hate to get my hands on one of those cataloges.

I picked up a couple of 9 6 late last year from Berkley and they are very similiar my old green ones but have quite afew more eyes. I pretty much go with 2 piece rods to get the length and it is nice to see others like the longer rods as well. I will use a one piece for corkin because I want alot heavier rod to pick up the slack immediately.

Who says you don't need any more rods????????????? Never enough.......

I couldn't remember which action Tiger you had Rob. I do like mine, they work pretty slick for the Red River kitty cats. I had good success running circle hooks on them. The tip is soft enough for a cat to hit the bait hard, load the rod, and set the hook.

Canuck- How's the fishing up your way this winter? One of these days I'll head up your way. But, I'm still counting down the days until I can cross the border again. frown.gif

Hanson: The greenies were excellent in Oct & Nov but at first ice it really turned off and that is opposite to the normal. Mind U we had very poor clarity but by late Dec the water cleared up and the greenies started to turn on. It has slowed down somewhat but if U put your time in U will finally hook up.

On that border crossing we still do NOT require passports for land travel that is not until June 2009.

How does one go about getting one of those Catfish Connection books?

Quote:

How does one go about getting one of those Catfish Connection books?

Check out their HSOforum--just add the "www" and the "(Contact Us Please)" and you'll get there. Click on "On-line Catalog" and then "Order Catalog" on the left side, third from the top.

I haven't seen one yet, but YES I was eyeing the Heavy casting. I figured I'd pair it up with a Tekota 400 and #100PP.

Better have and not need, then need and not have right.

Cause I'm still looking for the one that broke me on a clean run last yr on the MN. I'll be ready this yr.. Muahahahahahahah

Quote:

Have you guys had your hands on these poles yet?

I heard a rumor today that Moore's Bait was going to be ordering a couple up so we can see them in person. It might be another month or so before Bob has them in his shop. I'll probably hold off on ordering & pick one up from Mr. Moore. smile.gif

Finally got to check these rods out at Moore's Bait. Bob has a few of the H & MH actions in.

I will say, they are very, very nice rods although probably more suited to big blue cats down south on the big rivers in current. If you are using cut shad or skipjack the size of a T-bone steak, this would definitely be the rod to have.

The MH would definitely make a good flathead rod though. Its stout, yet with just enough tip action to be workable with live bait IMO. It is very similar to a Moyer Boss #3, maybe between the #3 & #4 in action.

The Surge rods look and feel pretty good. I stopped by Moore's on Sunday and took a look at 'em. A friend of mine wanted to come along and check out some gear also, now that I got him hooked on the river and cats. He had been using a Berkley Big Game spinning set up for two years. After seeing my 6500c3 in action he wanted to get a baitcaster set up. I didn't know he was ready to get everything he ended up buying that day. He was watching the Surge and the Boss rods. He went with the Boss #3. He paired that up with the reel I was eyeing myself, the Black Cat. After grabbing an assortment of no rolls, hooks, and 80 lb PP he was done. He is ready for the Flats now. Hopefully May comes soon.

Quote:

Another converted Bass fishermen.....
grin.gif

Well, once you go cat, you may never go back smirk.gif

I had the opportunity to check out the Surge rods last Friday and I took an instant liking to the MH casting rod. I'll be picking one up in the very near future and pairing it with an Abu 7000 C3. Most of my cat rigs have been pulling double-duty for both channels and flats, but this year I wanted to add just one more combo strictly for flats. The Surge MH/7000 C3 should fit the bill nicely.

The Surge heavy-casting rod is a nice rod, too, but a little too beefy for my cattin' needs.