• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RE-ATTACHING A STAIRWELL RAILING

BigWadeS

I am in need of some help, we have a split level house. When you go upstairs the railing goes up the stairs on the right side of the stairs and attaches to the well (which is also a closet) the railing was originall attached with finishing nails and they have broke off and the railing is now very loose, can a guy drill through the closet and start a hole and just put a screw through the drywall into the railing or should you go from the railing into the drywall?

If your talking about a normal almost round, stand alone handrail that follows the stairway angle, you should be using a metal handrail bracket. the bracket should be fastened to a stud in the wall behind the sheetrock with 3 screws 1 1/2"-2" long. the rail attaches to the bracket on the underside of the handrail with a U shaped pc of metal with 2 holes in it, screws should be included in a typical package of these brackets. available at any yard or hardware store.

ps, a stud finder is a good thing to have (sorry my daughter is busy) to find something solid to fasten to.

If you are talking about something different, more info is needed

I think I know what you are talking about. the railing should be nailed into a stud in the closet wall. A screw through the sheetrock is not going to hold. I would try and predrill a few holes in the bottom of the railing and put in some finishing nails. Some color matching putty will fill the nail holes. If you have to you could predrill holes to the side of the railing and the putty the holes. If the railing was painted then just paint over.