• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SD Coyote..

Rost

I have never hunted out west until this last weekend. A buddy and I headed out to call for coyotes. We called an area Saturday, made 10 solid stands and only saw 1 mange coyote (that I missed). After talking to a few people, we found out that mange hit the area really hard this year. Back to the drawing board we went. We spent Sunday morning scouting for a better area and found it. In this particular area, we spotted 4 coyotes in about 1/2 hr.

My buddy called one in on the first stand of the day. After about 20 mins a female came trotting in and I gave her the old 25-06 smack down at about 150 yards. We made two other stands with no luck.

Hunting out there is like nothing else. The scenery alone made the trip well worth it. The following pics do absolutely no justice as how how cool it is out there, but I'll post um up anyways..

100_0077.jpg

100_0075.jpg

100_0076.jpg

100_0078.jpg

Western SD is a riflemans 'target rich environment'. Beautiful country as well. Theres plenty of coyotes south of you. PLENTY. After the snow fell you could not find a deer for all the coyotes in the Bridgewater area. I saw 3 color phases of coyotes while deer hunting there.

Congratulations Ros, nice hunt.

Yes, that's what Open country does, it leaves you breathless.

I lived in central Wyoming for many year and every time I go there I still get amazed at the wide open spaces.

Nice job Rost,

Nice pics, too.

Mange has hit certain parts of the state hard, and it wont get better soon.

The cold snap, may have taken out some of the worst cases last week.

Keep knockin them down!

P1010039.JPG

I talked to a neighbor of mine today, and he said his son that lives up by Highmoore has shot 11

Coyotes this year and 9 of them were bad with the Mange. Seems a lot of areas have that problem. I think it is natures way of thinning them out when there are to many of them around. We had that here in Montana a few years ago. Now they are realy thick again. CAJ

rost; you should head out to the reservation lands around eagle butte and west of mobridge; i spent a week out that way working this summer and ended up glassing five nice yotes and anchoring one on a whim with the .22-two fiddy. cheap license and every guy i talked to said shoot em all and close the gate when you are done!