• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One-man Portables

FishingwithJake

I am using the Fish Trap Pro this year. I am a very big fan of the house. Because of the lack of ice earlier in the year it was great to pull while walking. I typically fish just one hole and find ample room for the heater if needed. The weight of the house is nice when loading and unloading it in the back of the truck. I would recomend the house!

I have an older fish trap and love it. But if I was going to get another one man, I would probably go the otter cottage route. My original post stated the den, but after further thinking I forgot that the den was the smallest one. I have a Lodge right now and love the otter quality. I really like the trap-link system, but it wouldn't be a selling point to me due to the fact I don't have any buddies who have another house with the link system. If you know someone who you can link to, that would be convienient. To my knowledge the den has a little more room in it than the fish trap pro. Any cottage owners out there agree?

CA

I'm a Fish Trap Pro user myself. I really like it. I'm not opposed to Otter. It's just they didn't have the complete package deals at the time I was in the market. I think most of the major manufactures put out a quality product.

Now is actually a good time to start looking. I know Gander has all the Fish Traps marked down already and I'm sure the prices will drop more. Just don't wait too long.

I currently own an Otter Resort but would like to have something smaller and lighter as an alternative. For someone who already owns an Otter, it is hard for me to look past the quality and purchase something else. My alternative to the Fish Trap Pro is the Otter Cottage. I guess I'll just have to do some thinking.

I'll put both thumbs up to the Fish Trap Pro as well... I had a larger flip over last year and it got too cumbersome to use by myself and difficult to heat as well. If your primarily fishing solo the size is perfect. And if you've got a buddy with one you can utilize the trap link feature as well. Great shelter for the money IMO.

My vote is for the fish trap scout. First off it's the fastest house on the ice. Second it's cheeper than the pro. The pro is only wider because the sled is turned sideways and if you ask me to extend the poles takes more time. Remember the bigger the house equals more weight, more room equals bigger-heavier heater, which equals more and heavier propane you have to carry with you. The heavier you get means it is more likely that you not going to move when your not catching fish. The name of the game is being able to move when your not catching fish thats why you buy the one man portable. Just my 2 cents.

L

I agree with you joneshat11, but being a bigger guy myself, I think the extra width would be nice. I guess if it weren't for the link system the Fish Trap offers I would go with the Otter Cottage. Its bigger than the Fish Trap and in my opinion better quality. Another factor I should consider is the sled depth. After all its what I'm carrying my gear in. I do believe the Otter has a deeper sled.

I normally drive my pickup to where I'm setting up my shelter. I also manually pull my shelter's sled to early ice fishing locations. I don't plan on pulling my shelter's sled extended distances behind an OHV or snowmobile...

I purchased a 2004 model Frabill Ranger Solo, then upgraded to the 2006 model with its heavier tent fabric, luxurious folding seat, and replaceable windows and vents. The unit can easily be set up in a heavy gale, and it's big enough for me and my large dog... It could also be used with two people, but would be a bit cramped. It is big enough to sleep in using a folding Swedish cot, and light enough for me to lift in and out of my pickup box. The sled is spacious enough to carry two Rubbermaid tote tubs, my power auger, and my minnow bucket and miscellaneous gear.

When I picked up this 2006 model over a year ago, it was easily the best designed 1 man portable available for my type of fishing. I still haven't seen any other units I would exchange it for... I've lined the roof with insulation, which stopped the fabric flutter in gale winds, and I've picked up a Big Buddy heater (my smaller Coleman unit has been sufficient so far this year).

Suggest you check out Frabill if you don't require an ultra heavy duty sled for towing behind an OHV or snow machine.

Take a look at an Eskimo ProFish 150. I got one last week at Joe's on sale. I've only had it on the ice 3x, but really like it. It's easy to pull, big enough to be comfortable, and not bad lifting in and out of the truck. I think it is a little taller and longer when set-up than a Fish Trap Pro. Anyways, I'm a big guy and there was room for gear and fishing. Just another option.

I prefer the Scout over the Pro, but I'm a fairly skinny short guy. My father-in-law, who is 6'2" and quite a bit "wider" than I am, pretty much had to buy the Pro. The only advantage I see with the Pro is the nicer seat and it's a bit roomier if you're a bigger guy. I love my Scout! No poles to extend, it's very light, and easy to heat. I love walking up to a hole and having a bait in front of fish 20 seconds later!

I just picked up a Frabill Recon last weekend and hopefully will get to try it out this coming weekend. It is light which is one of the reasons I bought it. That and the fact that I dont have a large vehicle and it fits right in there no problem.