• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shoulder problems...

cupper

Has anyone every experience shoulder problems or injuries as a result of archery? I am new to the sport, just started shooting this past week, but on one of my pulls, I felt my shoulder start to "slip" our of socket. I was pretty sore the next few days I there was some swelling. I can't understand it becuase I am young (25) and I take pretty good care of myself... I lift weights daily and I even changed my workout to prepare for shooting my bow. I don't know what would've caused something like that to happen. I am getting it checked out on Sat. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced something like this, and/or what is the recovery time for this type of thing.

Thanks!

Cupper

As trigger said...check your poundage and let off. the draw cycle should put tension on your back trapezius muscles more than your shoulder. There should be little tension in the upper arm, and shoulders should be low and level..

As a new archer, don't fall for the more poundage makes a man fallacy.

make sure your drawing your bow correctly, it hurts when you do it wrong, aim, then draw straight back using your deltoids, try not to let your elbow drop below your shoulder height(if your using a release.

(Note From Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank You.)

Which shoulder hurts? If the shoulder is the one that holds your bow up it will be a little sore. Reason is because you are not use to holding something up for a long time. After you shoot for awhile your muscles will get use to it and build up for it. Now if it is the arm or shoulder that pulls your bow back you could 1. be drawing your bow wrong or 2. again just not use to it. Your back muscles will be sore just a lil bit and if it is your should/joint then you are drawing your bow wrong. Make sure when you draw it you pull straight back even with your shoulder.

Hope this helps you at all. Thats about all i can do.

good luck

As dumb as it sounds, I tore my rotator cuff by pulling back my bow wrong.....I had an older PSE and was pulling with my arm and not my shoulder and my shoulder pulled out of socket....I was 28 at the time and felt really stupid but accidents like this do happen.....there is a proper way to pull back a bow.

How many pounds is your bow set at? MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT OVERBOWED!!! Accuracy is more important than poundage, especially on whitetails. A bow set at 50 pounds with a good broadhead and a good spot location will zip right thru a deer.

i'll give yo a hint on recovery time. now remember every one is different and you are a lot younge rthan i was. i tore my left one( i was in my mid 40's) i ran machines lifting 40-50 castings. they kept me off work for 3 months.the surgery was done in march. i could shoot my bow , but only a few arrows per day, by oct. 1 st. ( i did get my deer thou!)the surgery and therapy suck! but it does pay off. del

shoulder problems from archery? I'm the poster child for archers with shoulder problems. My shoulder never 'slipped' out of joint so I'm sure our problems aren't similar.

Your story kind of struck me, i was 25 when my shoulder problems started and I'm 33 now. I still do not have a diagnosis as to what is wrong with my shoulder. I see a new orthopedic tuesday. I've easily been to 35 different doctors, mayo clinic, u of m, dr. dan buss (twins team dr, one of best shoulder surgeons around). Yours sounds like your run of the mill shoulder injury. I'll spare you the details on mine. You are doing the right thing by having it checked out! worse thing you can do is ignore it.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to get a second opinion and look for a respected surgeon (if needed). Not sure where you are at, but if you can see Dr. Dan Buss go for it!

I had my right rotator cuff torn in mid october 4 years ago and was still able to pull my 60# bow. The only trouble with drawing my bow back was trying to get my right elbow up for properly drawing the arrow back. Had sugery in February and all is well now! grin.gif