• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mauer, Morneau and Cuddyer... $$

The Yeti

From the Strib:

Morneau, the American League MVP who made $385,000 last season, is seeking $5 million next year; the Twins have offered $4 million.

Mauer, the AL batting king who made $400,000 last season, is seeking $4.5 million; the Twins have offered $3.3 million.

Cuddyer, coming off his first 100-RBI season last year, has filed for $4.25 million; the Twins have offered $3 million.

Sounds like the birdies are in the trees in Twinkieville, even in the dead of winter....

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

My beloved Pale Hose just inked Mr. Crede with the most hated agent Scott Boras for 5 mil for next year, avoiding arbitration. We could make a trade Mauer for AJ, we would even make up the difference in salary...Any takers?

Windy

But hey did you see the Twins went signed LeCroy to a minor league deal all because he has a good personality in the clubhouse. This guy can't even throw the ball from home plate to the pitcher and you bring him in as a back-up catcher, money well spent...

LOL!! The Sox way overpaid for Crede! But thats really the difference between the Twins and teams like the White Sox... we don't throw our money around irresponsibly... maybe you guys should have paid more to Frank Thomas. DOH! tongue.gif

5 mill a year for Crede is not all that bad. I don't like the Sox as much as anybody, but a 3B that hits for power, plays good defense and drives in clutch runs is valuable. Of course last year was his best year and if he reverts back to what he was a couple years ago, then yes I think they overpaid. Basically his career offensive averages are about what Cuddyer's are. Other than their OBP, Cuddy's is much better.

The Twins will be doing good if they can lock all of these guys up for around 4-5 mill a year for multi-year deals. The longer they wait, the more they will be worth. The Twins will lose arbitration to all three of these guys if that is the route they go. Then next year at arbritration, they will be in the 6-8 mill range.

That is of course if they get better or produce about the same as they did this year.

It is all about leverage. Since the only option for Mauer and Morneau is thier first year of eligibility for arbitration they do not have a huge amount of leverage. They are the Twins property no matter what. If they were to be free agents we would be talking big numbers.

Now that these arbitration numbers are established, I am sure we will see some big numbers being thrown around in terms of long term contracts for the boys.

All i have to say is they better find money to pay these guys or there season and team is going to be horrible. You cant lose your top 3 players on your team becuase your not paying them enuf. Spend some money and keep the best 3 players on the team here.

They have to get these guys signed to long term deals along with Santana. Its going to cost the Twins some bucks to sign Santana with the way salary's are going for starting pitching. If they dont get him signed I guarantee he will be wearing Yankee's uniform. If they do not get these guys signed, opening day in the new park will resemble teams like the Pirates or Brewers.

Quote:

Anyway long term Santana will gone of course and Mauer and Morneau will signed long term deals.

I don't believe that to be true. With the new stadium coming, I can see Santana being retained. He needs to be and Twins fans will bail if he is let to walk and we go in the tank. Santana, Mauer, Morneau are as close as we get to Kirby Puckett. At the time the Twins extended Puckett's contract, he was the highest paid player in baseball.

I would say it's less then 5 percent we resign Santana if you look at the money other pitchers are getting we can't pay him 100 mill for five years.

I do look for the M & M boys to be resigned..... grin.gif

And no the Twins are not done as a team if we lose Santana....

I don't get why Pohlad has such a hard time wanting to spend money on salaries, stadium, etc. If he didn't want to, he shouldn't have bought the team!! Plus, he has to realize if he spent a little more and the Twins were to win the World Series, which isn't far off, he'd make his money back 20 fold. Same thing with the stadium deal, the owner should always be responsible for the cost before the people of the state or county, again, if he were to spend the money, the seats would always be full and he'd make his money back.

The Twins and their six arbitration-eligible players submitted contract figures Tuesday and in at least half of the cases -- including first-time eligibles Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer -- the gap is at least one million dollars.

Morneau, the American League Most Valuable Player after hitting .321 with 34 home runs and 130 RBIs, is seeking $5 million for 2007, a $4.14 million raise from the $385,000 he was paid in 2006. The Twins have offered Morneau $4 million and the two sides are continuing negotiations on a long-term contract for the 25-year-old first baseman.

The Twins are also trying to lock up Mauer, the Major Leagues' leading hitter last season, to a long-term deal.

The All-Star catcher was paid $400,000 in 2006. Mauer is seeking $4.5 million while the Twins have offered $3.3 million.

An even bigger gap exists between Minnesota's offer to outfielder Michael Cuddyer ($3 million) and what the outfielder is asking ($4.25 million). Cuddyer was one of three Minnesota arbitration eligibles last winter and the difference in offers then was $400,000. Cuddyer and the Twins avoided arbitration last year by agreeing to a one-year, $1.3 million, plus incentives, contract.

Nick Punto is eligible for arbitration for the second consecutive year and the third baseman submitted a $2.1 million number while the Twins' offer is for $1.6 million. Punto made $690,000 last season to avoid arbitration after the sides had submitted offers $225,000 apart.

Outfielder Lew Ford wants a raise to $1.3 million after making $425,000 in 2006. The Twins have offered $800,000.

Reliever Juan Rincon is seeking $2.4 million and the Twins have offered $1.6 million. The right-hander was paid $700,000 last season.

Minnesota's six arbitration eligibles were paid a combined $3.9 million in 2006. The Twins' combined offer for 2007 for the six is $14.3 million while the players are seeking $19.55 million.

The two sides can continue to negotiate a contract until their scheduled hearing begins. A panel of three arbitrators must select one of the two salary figures submitted. Their decision is binding. Hearings this year will be held from Feb. 1-20.

WHAT A JOKE... THEY BETTER GET THERE CHECKBOOK OUT OR THERE SEASON IS OVER!!!!!!!!

Of course we have to sign M&M. They are going to be the future. As much as I like Cuddyer, I don't know if we can afford to keep him with Santana's contract coming up. Up to Pohlad I guess. M&M + Santana + healthy (dreaming here) Liriano in '08 = pennant in '08.

Pohlad doesn't throw his money around if we aren't going to win. This team is different though, they have the talent to beat anyone. And he should remember he had the batting champ and MVP last year for under $1 mil combined. Of course they're going to want to get paid!

I think you guys are over reacting a little.

Negotiations are still ongoing, of course the player wants more money then the team is offering. Both sides submit what they want in terms of contracts and then they hash it out, it usually ends up somewhere in the middle. I don't think they will not sign these guys becuase of a 1 million dollar difference. They'll get it done.

Also in regards to Santana, the Twins have always understood the value of pitching. The twins have paid big contracts for the right guys and I can't see them letting Santana go.

Also does anyone actually know the contract status of Santana, I thought they signed him to a pretty good extension back after his first CY young award. Anyone know the details? I thought he was under contract for awhile yet.

Ok, prior to the 2005 season the twins signed Santana to a 4 year $40 million extension.

After the 2007 season it looks like the twins will either try to sign him to an extension or they will trade him.

With the new stadium I would expect the Twins to make a good attempt at signing him but we'll see what happens. I can't see them letting him go without a fight atleast.

After Johan won the Cy-Young this year, it activated a no-trade clause in his contract. He cannot be traded next year unless he wants to be.

5% chance we keep him? I believe that to be way off. I would give us more like a 70% chance or better of keeping him. The Twins will not let the best pitcher in the last 20 years get away.

I also think we need to keep Cuddy. I would assume the Twins will only do a one or two year with him, seeing how he has been incosistent in the past. Look around the leauge though. Players with Cuddyers numbers of last year usually cost alot more than 3 mil a year.

17-18 million for 5 players, all of which are either everyday players in your lineup(3 of them being middle of the order bats) or set-up men that pitch almost everyday is the best deal in baseball. I would let Lew Ford walk. We have plenty of extra outfielders in the minors that will produce as good or better than Lew and they are chomping at the bit to play here.

The way that i look at it is this. If the twins want to be able to have a team that has the players where there going to be able to go out on a schudule year after year, there going to need these players, and if they dont heave these guys on the team, who are they going to have to replace them. Ya we have a great Minor league, but the talent that these 4 guys have, is something that other teams hurt for. They need to sign them and get it done soon, before the talk starts and the season gets underway.