• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SE Iowa Ice???????????

hey everyone, i just got all my gear bought up and since i have only gone ice fishing twice in the past my mother is conscienscious about letting me go ice fishing by myself. my whole family is going down to southeast iowa except for my mom, and maybe me. i need to know if anyone has been fishing down there and how the ice conditions are. i am located near milton down there. if the ice is good or will be good for the weekend i will be down there but if it isnt i will have to entice my mom into letting me stay here in central iowa and go by myself. any info will be helpful

nip

Well I haven't been out yet either. I live near Iowa City and the ponds I check didn't freeze over completely until Monday 1/16. It's extreemly cold and below zero at night so it's making ice fast but I'd be real careful. I was in Des Moines today and stopped at Scheels and the salesman said he sold out of wax worms and some guys were out on ponds with 4" ice. If you go don't go alone, wear a life jacket and a set of ice picks. Good luck if you make it out. I plan to try a pond or two this weekend, so I hope the ice forms too.

hey thanks jphersh22, the info was real helpful on my decision this weekend on where i am going to fish. i just got my gas ice auger last night and a bunch of used tackle all for cheap so i hope i can get down there and use some of it for some pannies. once again thanks a lot and hope we get out for once this year.