• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good rechargable batteries

anyfishwilldo

Question

11 answers to this question

Different types of rechargeables can serve in different ways.

NiCad are quite popular but they have some drawbacks because they can tend to become "programmed". If you routinely only discharge them 50% and then recharge, they can lose some capacity and soon they'll only have the 50% capacity.

NiMH batteries are nice because they do not have a tendancy to get "programmed" so you don't have to be concerned with how often or when you recharge them. I don't believe they are as robust a power source as a NiCad and I also don't believe they can store a charge as well. In other words, they will tend to lose their charge faster while not in use than NiCad.

Lithium batteries are nice because they are able to function better under extreme cold conditions than the other two. I don't know about other characteristics such as shelf life of the charge, dependability, "programming", etc.

I have been using NiMH in my GPS and have been very pleased so far but I am not bothered by the need to recharge them if they sit for a time and I usually have my cigarette lighter adaptor with me anyway.

Bob

FUJI NiMH AA

Have had the same two batteries for three years in my camera and full time in my cordless mouse for PC.

I go at least five days before I notice any type of drag on the mouse so I recharge once a week. They only take about 2 hours max to recharge after three years. I throw in two of many others laying around for the two hours.

Uses NiMH, Ni cad are outdated. I seem to recall reading about Energizers as the best but I have several different brands and it seem that the amp hours are what matters most. For you GPS buy only 2500 mAH. They will last the longest. Also, get a charger the charges both aa and aaa batteries if you use batteries in other electronic gadgets. Lithium Ion is the best, but they don't come in rechargeable AA. I can't say it is worth the money on a GPS. But it would be a good experiment to see if they last longer than the rechargeable.

Good Luck!

I normally use NiMH in my H20 however they do not seem to work when it gets cold. I turned it on in the house and is showed about 80 to 90 percent charged but when I got to the lake and had it in my pocket the batteries were dead. I use alkaline batteries now when out in the cold.

Cold does a number on NiMH batteries.

I recently bought some Energizer Lithium (E2?) batteries, and while they are not rechargable, the cold doesn't affect them and they last sooooo much longer than NiMH or alkalines, plus, they are a lot lighter.

I use Duracell 2500 MAh rechargable AAs, too. But here's another reason folks might look at lithium (quote is from my ExpeditionC manual):

"Lithium batteries are lighter than alkaline, and with some brands of lithium batteries, the iFINDER ExpeditionC will float. We've tested it using Energizer e2 lithium batteries and it remained afloat."

Not that I'm about to run out and try it, but it might save the day for that time it happens.

Ralph: About how many hours do you think you get on the e2? and what model gps are you using?

Interesting that you had so much trouble with the NiMH batteries in cold weather. I haven't experienced it myself. I use my GPS for deer hunting, grouse hunting, 4-wheeling (clipped to my belt), and ice fishing, and open water fishing and have not yet experienced any problems. I suppose it can depend on the device being powered. For deer hunting, it has been quite cold at times and I usually hang the GPS on a limb nearby because mine is a Garmin Rino and I use the radio to keep in touch with the rest of my party. I do believe the radio works better using Alkaline batteries, which are the recommended type for the unit.

Bob

Quote:

"Lithium batteries are lighter than alkaline, and with some brands of lithium batteries, the iFINDER ExpeditionC will float. We've tested it using Energizer e2 lithium batteries and it remained afloat."

You are correct with my rechargeables in the H2O mine sunk right to the bottom!!!!!

Quote:

Ralph: About how many hours do you think you get on the e2? and what model gps are you using?

I'm on my first set, so I can't say, but I have been impressed so far. A friend told me that a package of 4 E2s lasted him as long as a 24-pack of regular alkalines. Both of us have an H2Oc.