• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Turkey Lottery Results

InTheSchool

Just because you didn't get drawn doesn't mean your have to take one with a stick and string. There is a first come first serve opportunity for surplus permits in mid March. This also does not count against preference point you've earned.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be dependent upon the year and weather. Also, season H extends a few days beyond the traditional close of the spring turkey season in MN this year.

Toms will be in the mood to breed, and what you have working for you is that the hens will most likely not be. The challenge is to find birds that have not been harassed (or shot) in previous seasons. Out of the way public land, or private land with minimal hunting pressure is a real premium here. Start now, and talk to landowners as the season nears so you know what to expect on the property you'll be hunting.

Last year, I had a great season G & H while taking out other guys to bowhunt. I called in many more birds during these seasons than I did the previous ones. Getting them within bow range was a different story, but the birds roosted alone (without hens) and gobbled like crazy.

Joel

Having only hunted before the 5th of May once, I am OK with the late seasons. Last year was the latest I have hunted into May, the 21st. Birds still gobbled, younger hens and posssibly bread hens still walked into calls. They acted like turkeys the best I could tell.

The toms seem to be a little harder to move the later you get into the season. I think they just get tired. But, being a true male, they aren't going to pass on something they only have access to for a couple months out of 12. You know what I mean. You just need to position yourself well for easy access.

What really worked good for me last year was finding a tom that had been shunned by all the dominant birds. He traveled alone and was very quiet. He should have also been very dead, but that's a whole different story. I just worked into his convenient line of travel one morning and turned him my way. Nothing wrong with hunting late.