• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tent Choices

Nymph

was wondering if anyone could help me in picking out a tent.

looking for a 3 season 8-9 man that is not too expensive. I don't need one of those 4-5 hundred dollar ones. I use it for a turkey hunting base camp for 2 guys, cots and other gear. The other times will be used for canoeing or a base camp for trout fishing. Just looking for a tent to stand up to the elements when put and have enough room for cots and gear. Something that is like 10x14 rectangle. There are so many odd shaped ones that are hard to use cots in and move around. Thanks

I remember seeing a tent advertised by Cabelas or Gander Mt. for about $250 last year. I think it was about 14x20, but it's a summer tent. Most of the roof was screen mesh and you'd have to have the rain fly on. Try Cabelas web site to see if it was theirs.

I'm also a cot user, who prefers large tents with headroom and a square floor plan.

I purchased a new tent a year ago, and I spent quite a bit of time checking out a number of tent vendors. One of the best online sources for a variety of name brand tent manufacturers and designs is www.campmor.com, and they rank very high in customer service and satisfaction.

Check out the Campmor selection and pricing before you make a decision...

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the information. I have been checking campmor out. Great sit for gear. I am thinking of purchasing a Kelty Green River 6. Does anyone have any info on this tent. Look like a great tent for a base camp and canoeing. Thanks

Nymph, I don't know anything about that model (except for reading the specification list at Campmor), but I do know something about Kelty tents.

The tent I purchased at Campmor a year ago was a Kelty Trail Dome 6 with 2 doors, and I'm very pleased with it, as you know if you've read my posts on an earlier tent thread on this forum.

Kelty conservatively specifies the headroom in my tent at 6 feet. The actual headroom in my tent is 6' 5". I noticed that the specified headroom in the model you're interested in is 6' 7". Be interesting to find out what the actual headroom is... maybe 7 feet? Looks like a great tent for 3 cots and a lot of gear.

Let us know what you decide to do...

Good luck.

I have had a Kelty tent in the past and had really good luck with it. I currently have a couple different sized Eureka tents and have had really good luck with them as well. Everyone has different specs that they think are important if you are sleeping on cots you won't need to be as concerened with floor thickness so I would then check on ventilation and zippers. Heavt duty ykk zippers are a big plus. That is my two cents. Good Luck.

My vote goes to the Eureka Sunrise series. I have both a 9' & 12' model. Easy set-up and lots of room. Also has great ventilation. You can even leave the windows open in the rain (depending on wind) because the fly protrudes over the windows. Good luck - JD

I'm kinda old school when it comes to tents. Newer style nylon tents are great for summer camping, but for a hunting tent (bow and rifle) I'll take canvas. You won't get a 10X14 canvas tent w/poles for 250 though. But if you buy one and take care of it it will last you a long time. Check out canvas Cabins or Mountain gear surplus sales on the web.

The best value I know of in a nylon tent is the Chinook series made in Canada. Heavy #10 nylon zippers on all the doors and the flies go all the way to the ground so the sidewalls don't get wet when it rains. Lifetime warranty and reasonably priced. Google Chinook tents or check on hsolist. I doubt you will find an 8 to 9 man tent of any quality for $250 though.