• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is the H20c worth the extra $100?

mjrfishing

Question

18 answers to this question

It can be difficult to see in sunlight but the grey version can be hard to see as well. You can solve this problem by leaving the light on which will not drain the batteries if you are able to leave it connected to a 12v power supply. As far as reading the maps it is much easier reading the color version. If you have the extra $100 to toss around I say get it, if you don't then the H2O will work fine.

I have the C, and my brother has the standard. The definition on st C seems better. The color is designed to be used with the light on, but how often are you going to use it when there is not a 12v source around. The batteries dont last near as long as they advertise in either unit, so you need to plug them in anyway, or change batteries every couple of hours.

I would pay 200 more to have the color version. I own the H20c while a couple of my buddies have the regular version and they don't even turn there's on when we are fishing together. Try turning on the night viewing option when under bright light conditions it will help with your viewing pleasure.

I went with the monochrome H2O and would do it again.

I don't use the handheld gps in my boat, I have 3 larger color sonar/gps combos so the H2O goes in the boat as a backup only or doesn't even go in the boat.

I use my H2O a lot for ice fishing, on my atv, hunting, etc. Works great for that. No issue with seeing the screen or the definition on the map chips, and the battery life is good.

For what I use it for, I just didn't see any advantage to spending more money for color and shorter battery life.

Yes if you are plugging into a lighter it is great to have color, love mine mounted on ATV. Also remember you get 16 Satellites with the H2Oc instead of 12. Better chance to get a WAAS connection which will get you on you honey hole. But either one is better than nothing!!

Well worth the extra cash if you ask me. Reading land, signs, roads etc. is much much easier in color. Make sure you plug it in as often as possible and you will be fine. When you dont make sure you have extra batteries.

Color is worth every penny.

I don't complain about the lack of power 2 AA batteries will hold. My H2Oc seems to use about the same amount of juice as my old Garmin III, and that has 4 batteries.

I used my H2Oc in extreme cold over the weekend at LOW, and absolutely no complaints. The screen works very well in extreme cold, better than I imagined.

I just purchased my H20C this summer and was contimplating the very same question at the time. I figured that if I didn't get the color right away, I would be kicking myself in about a week for not getting it. I agree that it really depends on what you are using it for, but I have already reaped the benefits of having a colored screen. From saving various trails in different colors, to seeing lake contours in different shades of blue. The color was totally worth it for my use.

It is true about being harder on batteries, but keep an extra set with you for those out in the boonie trips that you have without a 12V source and you should be good to go.

These aren't those items that you will be upgrading year after year, start off with something that you will be happy with for a while. My .02

CA

Quote:

From saving various trails in different colors, to seeing lake contours in different shades of blue. The color was totally worth it for my use.

These aren't those items that you will be upgrading year after year, start off with something that you will be happy with for a while. My .02

CA

(edited by me)

Ditto on that! If I had the option, go with the color unit from the start.