• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

traditional archery

I haven't been shooting trad long but one thing I can tell you is start out with a light poundage bow. Even if you think you are a manly man I would recommend purchasing a inexpensive starter bow with a draw weight at 45-50lbs. It will take you while for muscle development to shoot heavier bow with good form. I made the mistake of getting a heavier bow to start and tore up my shoulder. It is nothing like pulling a compound even if you are use to pulling 80lbs

Get a cheaper starter bow and start shooting. then research what you are looking for based on what you like and dislike about your current bow. Generally a longer bow will be smoother and more pleasant to shoot. but if you are going to tree stand hunt with it, it has its drawbacks. Also your draw length will be 1-2 inches shorter with a trad bow than your compound drawlength. Another thing you should check is to see if you can shoot the bow with the new fast flight strings.

take plenty of time to shoot different kinds of bows wether it is a long bow or a recurve. many great custom bows, and even some production bows out there to try. tommy is right it will take some time to get used to shooting one. if there is a archery shop in your area, talk to them to find out who shoots traditional equip. they can give you much more info, plus a chance to shoot different bows! have fun looking!