• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tubes

zepman

O.K. so what's the difference between the tubes you can buy 8 for $1.00 and the tubes that come from some of the major manufacturers and better known companies. While I'm at it what's everyones favorite type of tube and why? One more thing--what's the difference between a 4" flipping tube and a regular 4" tube. I've also noticed there are alot of different "textures" on the different tubes. Do you guys prefer the softer tubes or the harder ones. Thanks.

It really depends on your style of fishing. I use strike king flipping style tubes with a texas rig. They have a hard head for the first 1/4 or so, this really helps hold your hook in place. They are longer so you can use a 4/0 hook and still make them weedless. I usually peg them to keep the bullet weight in place, and they have a side to side darting action when the fall. They cast like a bullet and enter the water with minimal splash and usually land head first. I use this type of tube when Im fishing wood, a thick weed mat, or junk fishing shorline/shallow cover. This is also one of my favoite baits to fish docks because they skip really well. The older style or hollow tubes are usually used with lighter spinning equipment and more for open water (less contact with heavy cover style of fishing) you can get weights for the inside of the tube that attach to the hook or use jig heads where eye of the jig gets pushed through the tube and the hook is exposed for a horizontal presentation. These are great baits for smallmouth fishing or rocky/deeper lakes where you want to fish with an exposed hook.

some times the difference between a companies lures is, the color selections, and many/most have flavor inhancers too( ie. galic,salt, secret compounds). texture, i stay with the soft ones. this way the fish can mash the bait down to allow the hook to penetrate better.

One word -Consistency.

The bulk tubes work just fine, but some of them were poured poorly and are bendt to one way or the other and they spin and twist said line. I just sort through them and pick out the good ones. Gander bulk tubes is what I'm talking about. Some tubes I can use a 2/0 hook while others I have to stick with a 1/0. I prefer a bigger hook if I can get away with it.

Otherwise the flipping tube is heavier and a bit wider. You're talking about the berkly flippin tubes right? I just bought another pack and they are scented. Gotta like that.

I do like Yum and SrikeKing tubes as well and they have so many colors to choose from. Cost a lil more though. Buy some of each and see what you think.

I think there are bargain tubes out there but ultimately your not going to save a ton of money so I'd focus on the colors or scents that you want. More importantly IMO is spending money on good hooks (jigs) nothing beat the Gamakatsu (sp?) hook. I also have had lots of luck with the bleeding tubes by YUM.

Question: Can you add salt to a tube after you buy them...is that a dumb question?

Hiya -

I use the cheap bulk bin tubes on a Texas rig sometimes when I'm fishing in heavy rushes where ANY tube gets torn up pretty badly from getting dragged through the rush stalks. When you're flipping thick rushes I don't think much matters beyond the sound and profile - they're trigger-type strikes. After a full day rooting around in the rushes in June I can have a pretty good pile of shredded Plastisol at my feet, so I try to stay away from the tubes that cost $1.00 a pop...gets expensive blush.gif

For most of my other fishing though I do prefer the higher end tubes. The plastic's softer, and the quality, as Ebass said, is better, especially if you're going to be casting them. Nothing twists line like a crooked tube.

98% of my tubes are either Berkley Power Tubes, or Northland Slurpees. For smallies especially I love the Berkley Sparkle Power Tube Minnows (you get glitter all over you though -heh). Really gotten to like the Northland flipping tube for Texas rigging and Carolina rigging too.

The difference in 'flipping' vs. standard tubes, by the way, is most often in the head. On 'flipping tubes' the head will be solid to accomodate Texas rigging without shredding from the weight pushing down on the head. Some companies' flipping tubes are just bulkier in general too - wider and with heavier tube walls.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

i will throw out a little tube trick that i think i learned from teh fishing tips and tricks book. it is something that you will want to use for the dog days of summer. You take some alkaseltzer(sp) tablets and break off alittle chunk and shove it up the but of a tube and then put a piece of cotton ball up there to hold it in. it takes a little bit for the water to get to it but once it does it is a fizzing machine and this is somethign that for some reason makes bass bite it. I don't know why but i on't argue with success. Also it is fun for little kids to throw some in the water to watch it fizz. I believe there is nothing that is harmful or polutant for the fish or body of water. Give it a try this summer and let me know how it works for you. ike

Hiya -

Good trick Ikeslayer. Sounds goofy, but it does work, especially on smallies for some reason. Some think it sounds like crayfish, but I think it just gets at their curiosity. You can deadstick tubes doing this on good smallie spots. Pitch it out, just let it sit, and the line will start going off to the side...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm