• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shrimpo vs. Ratso

caseymcq

I have ordered both Shrimpos and Ratsos from Custom Jigs & Spins. I know the only difference is where the eyelet is, but...

Are there certain situations where one works better than the other? Is one better in shallow while the other is better out deeper? Are there certain cover situations where one is better than the other, weeds, etc? Does how the fish relate to the bottom have an influence on choosing one over the other? Any thoughts?

They both work very well. In my experience using them, sometimes the horizontal presentation works better, sometimes the vertical presentation works better. Both seem to work in the same depths. I always lean more towards my shrimpos (personal preference), and if they aren't doing the trick, will try the ratso's. All in all you made a good purchase, and should be very happy with the results. grin.gif

I have only been using these two styles of lures for about a year and I have done way better on the Ratsos instead of the Shrimpos. Color of choice has been the pink headed Ratso with a replacement white body. I did have a good day with a Rat finkee too this winter.

there both excellent baits. One of the best things about custom baits is the eyelets are always clean. I don't know how many times I've pulled out a new jig and had to grab another one just to clean the eyelet out. I've had a pink ratso on one of my crappie rods for about three years now just change the line and the plastic one in a while.

I have had more luck on the Ratso's over the Shrimpo. The pink and white combinations have been my go to color for many years. I would also look at the Ratfinkee jigs. A White head with pink shaft has been a great bait. Tip the ratfinkee with a couple of euros, and you should be good to go. The only negative thing about the ratfinkee is that it is a pretty light bait. It takes a little while to get it down to the bottem hugging fish in 30 fow. I normally have an additional split shot on to get it down a little quicker. If you are fishing 15 feet or less, go without the splitshot.

CA

If you are fishing a lake where the forage base consists of freshwater Shrimp than the Shrimpo would "match the hatch" so to speak. Perch really like these baits because they imitate the Shrimp that hang around near the bottom. When the Shrimp start to slide off the bottom and Crappies and Bluegills start feeding on them than this is the time to use Shrimpo's.

When I target Bluegills and Crappies I typically stick with the Ratso because it's horizontal. Ratso's imitate smaller baitfish (minnows) that swim in most lakes/rivers. When the fish are active and chasing bait that is off the bottom more they seem to prefer a horizontal bait.

Hope this helps,

Corey Bechtold

I really like the horizontal presentation. But both have their time and place.

The larger Ratsos work great as a search lure and I use them all the time on crappies and gills. Perch really like them too (as do pike wink.gif).

No need to tip these jigs with any live-bait, they will work just fine without.

The size 10 and 8 Shrimpos are great finesse sunfish jigs.

The Ratsos also work well when sight fishing.

I think you made a good decision in buying a few of both styles. They both have a solid roll in my arsenal...

I have found the Shrimpo to work particulary well at Waubay and Devils Lake for perch. I would have to agree with Matt that they make an excellent search bait.

Never really used the Ratso. I don't believe I even have any in the tackle box. Well, that probably isn't true.

The other bait that I love is the Delong Mousie jig. It is basically a plastic tall on a plain hook. I have only been able to find that at Thorne Bros. Fabulous perch jig on Mille Lacs.

I have found the Shrimpo to work particulary well at Waubay and Devils Lake for perch. I would have to agree with Matt that it makes an excellent search bait.

Never really used the Ratso. I don't believe I even have any in the tackle box. Well, that probably isn't true.

The other bait that I love is the Delong Mousie jig. It is basically a plastic tall on a plain hook. I have only been able to find that at Thorne Bros. Fabulous perch jig on Mille Lacs.

The most commo place you will find shrimp is in lakes with a frequent winterkill. The South Dakota lakes are loaded with these.

With the draining of wetlands and winter areation by gov. and sportsmans group has really taken a toll on the amphipod populations.

mw