• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I "really hit the crappies"

fisherking01

confused.gifconfused.gif This morning I literally hit the crappies. I was heading to a favorite spot this morning and someone had lost their pail of fish last night. There were a bunch of crappies and two walleyes right there on the highway. Hard as rocks with the -0 weather last night. Crappies were from 10-13 inches and so were the walleyes. Bet they were bummed when they got home. Looked to be a desperate fisherman with those 10 &12 inch walleyes. Just had to share, Brent

I left Richmond Lake last year of ice fishing. I was sure I had caught and Kept a total of nine bluegills and Crappies. I laid them on top of my portable and walk back to car about 100 yards and went home to clean fish. When I got to cleaning table only 8 fish to clean. I wondered if I had miscounted? Got back a day of two later and found that someone had left a nice nine inch bluegill on the Ice. I am about 100 % sure one of my bluegills jump out of my portable shed that night! Oops

Yes, I did. So would that be considered "roadkill"? They were fine, when I was cleaning them my daughter asked "why would someone keep that?" referring to a 10 inch walleye. I said I have no idea. She then said, " then they wonder why they can't catch any big ones." Oh well, at least they weren't wasted. Brent

My kids are both very aware of the need for conservation in all of the outdoors. We have access to 2 private lakes that have awesome fishing. Fishing like we could have in all of MN with the right practices. Seeing what little fishing pressure can do for a lake really opened up their eyes. Neither have a problem letting any fish go. From the smallest to the largest, they get just as much enjoyment out of the photo and release as the catch. Wo do also love to eat fish and do so often, but are selective and only eat fresh fish. With The time I have, especially in the winter, There aren't a lot of times when we want fish that we can't. (by the way, we rarely fish the private lakes, don't want to wear out our welcome!)

I understand that that is not the case for most people and they would like to have the opportunity to keep a meal or two for the freezer when they do get out, can't blame them for that. Maybe the small walleyes were hooked bad and were going to die anyway, I doubt it, but??? We can't change everyone, some will never see the need for a release, but we can try to teach, and practice what we preach. Good luck fishing, Brent