• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help, Arctic Cat gurus !!!!

Valv

I have this '09 Pantera 580 EFI and I cannot figure out where the 2 little coil wires go.

I even downloaded a manual for $ 11.00 and still cannot figure it out.

The ignition coil is on top of airbox, there are 2 plug wires and 2 small wires, a white (or light tan) color, and a black one.

I am sure the black is for ground but anyway there is no connector found anywhere in the sled that matches the 2 on coil. They are just 1 male & 1 female standard banana connector, nothing special, but check this picture:

Panteracoil1.jpg

Panteracoil2.jpg

I'd help but I've never had a 580, don't even know anyone that has one anymore except a buddy of mine a couple hundred miles away and I don't think my 900 would be the same. Maybe I'll take a look this evening.

Mike

I was out sledding and fishing. grin.gif

I have owned a 580, and since your machine is an EFI, there are big differences from looking at the picture.

I am a bit confused, are you talking about the 2 wire (white tie strap holding the wires) plug that is connected to the air box, below the ignition coil?

So those are the wires that power the coil?

Are there any wires coming out of the side of the engine with the recoil? The stator is on the "right" side of the engine and thats what generates your electrical power. I'm wondering if there is a bigger wire that runs from there to the computer system, or if there are wires that run from there to the coil.

Carb sleds are pretty easy to work on but when EFI is involved. Yuck! smile.gif

A-ha, tha cavalry is here.... grin.gif

There are the 2 cables fron stator to 2 small relay/units that go into main harness.

It should be farely simple but there isn't anything that appears missing and nothing to connect these 2 wires.

Usually on a coil there's a black connected to frame/ground, and a white to get power from stator...very simple. Well not this case....

Yes, there are 2 wires that run from the area of the stator. If I recall, the ground wire is connected to the engine block or onto a bolt on the recoil cover.

White is power and that wire runs from a harness/mess of wires up to the coil.

I have replaced the coil on a 580 and it should be the same.

Your sled is a no go without those wires connected. blush.gif

Those wires must be somewhere. In a black sleeve...could be laying anywhere.

I know there is a ground wire that runs from the coil to the engine block, or connected to a bolt on the recoil assembly. Look for anything that looks strange, like a pulled wire.

In picture #2 you initially posted, look at the recoil cover where you can see the "S" for Suzuki and "pow" for powered. The muffler is covering those words. There is a white wire with a plug that goes into the area of the stator. Follow that white wire encased in the black protective sleeve, where does it go? I can't recall if that is the power wire you need to connect to the coil or not, something tells me it is. Been a few years since I worked on coils....

Do you still have the 550 EXT at your place Valv? Look at that sled for reference. It should be the same on any Cat with that build throughout the '90's I believe.

Chuck the 550 is right next to it, but completely different, the wires enter the cowl probably to the kill switch,

I've got to get this, I'll let you know later, thank you for your help so far....

Ok, little recap here:

Don't feel bad, even the dealer is stumped, I took it in and he cannot figure it out. Only option possible is a small harness extension which has probably been removed and the ends are on main harness somewhere, possibly in the cowl....

I'll find out tomorrow.

Now that I think about it, I think Mudslinger's right.

When I changed out my CDI (not the coil as I thought) I do believe I had the wires from the CDI to the coil. Duh. Age is taking its toll... 99% sure.

But, this is an EFI and that's where things might be different. Never worked on an EFI before.

Well, I took a look at my sled and my Dad's '99 600, both are of the batteryless EFI generation. Both sleds had coils with a black wire and a orange wire and they hooked into their respective color coded wires and run right into the EFI controller box.

Not sure if this 580 you have is a batteryless or a battery system. It will depend on the year.

Mike

OK, I just talked to a few people who are hard core Arctic cat owners. What they say, is its a spark advance. You plug them together if your going to burn a lower grade fuel or are going to ride at high altitudes.

Quote:

OK, I just talked to a few people who are hard core Arctic cat owners. What they say, is its a spark advance. You plug them together if your going to burn a lower grade fuel or are going to ride at high altitudes.

I'm no hard core Arctic Cat guy but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is incorrect. The coil needs something to "excite it", and being those are the only 2 wires going to it, they have to go to the CDI box or stator area somehow. I'd guess that somewhere along the line, a harness that goes to it was removed or cut off and needs to be replaced. Keep looking for a dead end plug or maybe some wires that are taped up that may contain the ones you need. Otherwise you may have to head to the library for a manual unless somebody pops up with the same sled.

I do know that the EFI models have a setup like [YouNeedAuthorization] says where you plug in a wire to adjust for oxygenated fuel. My four stroke sled has this setup as well. As far as those wires off the coil being that setup on your sled Valv, I don't know. But hattrk sounds like he could be right. I know the wire is near the ignition on my sled