• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glass bed on Rem 700

Cooter

Anyone tackled this job on a Rem 700? I have a couple questions. The first being whether to leave the factory barrel/stock contact or remove the 'bump' on the stock and free float. Second can I just bed the tang and recoil lug? And on the recoil lug should I bed the whole thing or just the back side? Finally, surface prep - some rough sandpaper or dremmel tool roughing or what? Oh yeah, its a mountain rifle thus the smaller, shorter 22" barrel(might be the deciding factor on the stock/barrel question). Thanks, later.

My brother sanded the bump off to free float his BDL. It was a simple process and it worked great. The only bad thing about it, is that now his barrel is no longer perfectly centered in the stock.

Good Luck!

She has many a kill under her belt. I bought that gun new about 15 years ago...its shoots just fine but the stock is so beat up from the 'blackberry plantation' we hunt. I thought it would be a good opportunity to experiment - if I botch it I have a good excuse to get a new stock! Just can't leave good enough alone ya know eh?